+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobart Mixer

Default Hobart Mixer

I purchased a Hobart 20qt. mixer to make my sugar. Is there anything I should know before trying it. How much syrup do you start with. will the paddles reach the sides of the bowl?

I do a gallon to gallon and a half. Might be able to do more, that is just what works for me. My paddle does a good job of getting the sides but I also stop a couple times and scrape the sides to get a better mix. Also wipe the moisture off the under side of the head. I run in low gear.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    I do a gallon to gallon and a half. Might be able to do more, that is just what works for me. My paddle does a good job of getting the sides but I also stop a couple times and scrape the sides to get a better mix. Also wipe the moisture off the under side of the head. I run in low gear.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Thanks Chris very helpful

I stop when the bowl is fairly cool to the touch and the sugar still has some moisture. Check the creep of the sugar. You may need to keep going? You can mix way too long and it will beat the sugar to a very fine grain. Done ask me how I know! I really like these to make sugar! Very easy. Post some pictures too!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

been making good sugar on my kitchen aid pro, but friend has a Hobart I'm gonna start using to do larger batches.
    Interesting you mention keeping going too long with make it finer grain. Mine has been coming out somewhere in the middle between granulated and brown sugar grain, but not one bit clumpy. Id like to get close to that on the Hobart, so I hope it's just as easy. Do you spread out and cool it down? my only fear is it being too warm and sitting in that large of a bowl too long, could make it clump up too much before packaged.

I usually have good luck with sugar, but not this year. First batch was very nice and I proceeded to mix too long, very fine, but worked well for cotton candy. Second batch I did not boil to 260. went to cookie dough in the Hobart and finally went to sugar. Had to mix it more and sift it too because it clumped up.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    I usually have good luck with sugar, but not this year. First batch was very nice and I proceeded to mix too long, very fine, but worked well for cotton candy. Second batch I did not boil to 260. went to cookie dough in the Hobart and finally went to sugar. Had to mix it more and sift it too because it clumped up.
    Regards,
    Chris
    ive done 3 batches so far and 255 seems to be my good number. (water boils at 207 for me) the sugar is slightly fine, but i havent had to sift it at all yet. Hopefully I will have luck with bigger batches on the hobart! It's a 40 or 60qt, so I think I can do 2 gallons at a time.

Wow you have a super sized mixer! Post a picture of that bad boy! 40 qt yea you should be able to do 3 gallons or more. I stop severy times and wipe the under side of the head off to limit the moisture dripping back into the sugar.
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

IMG_0118.jpg

my bad! It's only a 30qt. started with 2 gallons syrup before the boil, and got 13 pounds sugar. Worked very well!
    IMG_0122.jpg
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 04-07-2020 at 09:31 AM.

I recently had my first try at making sugar and it went OK but I am interested in getting some feedback.

I used about a pint of slightly scorched VDark, cooked to 259F, beat w a Kitchenaid tilt-head mixer for 1.5 hrs w occasional scraping. I was going by trying to get all the moisture out and thinking that it should be dry to the touch. Even after all that time it wasn't quite. Does it really take that long to beat it or did I do something wrong? The mixer handled it but did get warm. Fine for an expriment but not for regular use. The scorched taste did completely disappear, exactly as Noel Perrin said it would. Seems like a great use for less than perfect syrup.

So I'm thinking that I might have a market for maybe 5 or so gallons of converted syrup a year and thinking about a mixer. A local restaurant supply place quoted $2200 for a used Hobart 20qt, more mixer than I need and way more money than I want to invest in this. (I make 40-70 gallons a year.)
    Has anyone heard anything about the Avantco 10-qt? Price would indicate offshore manufacturer.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ava...77MX10WFB.html

Or a Kitchen Aid Proline KSM7586P or Professional 6500 KSM6521X w/ a 1.0 or 1.3 hp motor
    https://www.williams-sonoma.com/page...son-chart.html

Also, the North American Maple Producers Manual mentions using a 1/8" sieve to sift the sugar through. I used a "regular" kitchen sieve that was much finer, finer than I needed and a PIA to get the sugar through. Anyone know where to get a 1/8" SS sieve? All I can find online are north of $60-70.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark Cowdrey
    Ragged View Farm
    111 Bradley Lake Road
    Andover, NH

In the Spring of '15, after boiling with Eric Johnson of Tucker Mountain Maple for 10 years, we began boiling the sap from our 3-400 taps here. I bought my rig from Eric, a 2-1/2 X 8 raised flue on a custom air-injected wood-fired arch. We put our syrup up in glass and sell til we run out. We are not using vacuum, an RO or filter press.

www.raggedviewfarm.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast