+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New guy from CT with questions .

Default New guy from CT with questions .

Hello all. New guy to forum from Connecticut . I have some questions . This year is my first time making syrup myself and I was planning on making my own homemade evaporator and pans but running out of time . I have around 90 trees on my property to tap. What would you guys recommend for a evaporator and pan setup? Wood fired , i was looking at the smoky lake maple products setups. Also looking for recommendations on finishing pans and filters. This is just a hobby for me and my girlfriend and hoping to pass it on to my niece and nephew. Thanks a lot ! I’m in the process now of building my 14x20 sugar house!

Welcome to the trader Kcorey. It mostly depends on what you want to get out of it and how much you want to spend to do it. When I started out it was with about 25 to 35 taps on buckets and has grown in tap count. I still use buckets and bags, but have upgraded to a much faster system for boiling. You can get a lot of good information here and good luck with your upcoming season.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I am planning on tapping every tree , with about 20-30 of those trees being big enough for two taps . I would like to stay under $3500 or so for the setup . I have buckets that were given to me , have to buy taps though.

Go on Bill Masons web site he makes his evaporators right here in Maine and they are well built and good prices .
    I just picked up a 2X4 XL MASON you will hear a lot of good things about Bill on this site good luck.
    Backyard sapper

Mason 2X4 XL with blower
    12x24 post and beam shack
    30 taps on 5-Gallon buckets
    134 taps on tubing into the shack
    15-30 gallons a year for family and friends

One of the main things to consider when sizing your evaporator is the gallons per hour evaporation rate and how much time you will actually have available to boil. For people with less available time that is more important than the size of the evaporator. Each brand and model of evaporator will achieve different gph rates. If you are undersized and end up boiling all night, you are less likely to enjoy it. Oversized will mean you might not have enough sap to boil without waiting a few days. People will start shouting out brands they are loyal to, but they may not be the right fit for you.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

kcorey,
    90 taps could produce from 40 gallons to 120 gallons of sap depending on the trees and the run.
    Depends on how much time you have to boil too. boiling rate of the rig will determine how much time you spend boiling plus a hour or more for start up and shut down.'
    A rig boiling 10 gph, you have 40 gallons of sap, your looking at 4 to 5 hours of boiling.
    I would suggest a rig that boils about 25-30 gph. As you may quickly get some more taps and have more sap.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Welcome to the addiction. I recommend that you go to the Maple Syrup Producers Association of Connecticut meeting on January 18th. It is going to be held at Lebanon High School from 8-2:30. Most of the breakout sessions will be geared for smaller producers and will give you a good chance to meet other maple producers. There will also be a few dealers with equipment to check out and ask questions. They will all be happy to give you quotes on equipment and answer any questions you might have. There is more info on the associations web site ctmaple.org. Next Gen also makes some inexpensive 2x4 and 2x6 models you might look at to start with.
    700 taps, Smoky Lake 2x6 drop flu, 2 post RO. 16x20 Sugar House

I would be looking for newer used 2x6 evaporator with a flue pan in it. If you buy a flat pan set up with over 100 taps I would buy or build a small ro.

Check as many options as you feel necessary. Going to the maple event and meeting producers and suppliers of materials is a good option too. You mentioned that your intention was to use a wood fired evaporator, which means you have a source for or already have the wood, correct? With time of year you may be limited with options for equipment available to get for this season. If there is anything you want to discuss you can send me a (PM) and we can talk anything specific you may think of.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Thanks for the reply’s. I’ll have to see if I can make it to that meeting . Boil time is a factor for me since I work full time and would be boiling on the weekends . Also yes , I have the wood and a source for it . I have been looking a lot a better smoky lake maple evaporators. The Corsair with a hybrid pan. But I’m not sure what style pan to get that would be best for a beginner

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast