+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New guy from CT with questions .

Same - the 2x5 hybrid is about as big as you want to go for a single pan setup. Can be a pain to clean, and the syrup pan isn't reversible. However, it's a great pan for the price. The craftsmanship is outstanding.

If I had a do-over, I would probably go with a 2 pan, 2x4 setup with reversible front pan. Maybe - a 2x4 2 pan setup is about double the price of a hybrid 2x5, but the 2x4 pan has 10, 7" flues...

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    I have a Smokey Lake 2x5 Hybrid. Works great, but it is a 2 person job to remove and re-install pan for mid season cleanings (1 or 2). And I always end up looking like a chimney sweep when done

Dave
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Hi all. I ended up getting a 2x4 mason arch setup with raised flue and blower from a member here . Now I’m looking for a decent finisher/canner . Also most likely going to use a IBC tote for a collection tank. Any known issues I should address with the tote ? Thanks .

Just make sure the IBC tote had food grade only in it, and that you can clean i well. While maybe food grade, some should not be tried anyways, such as strong or spicy products. Something like apple juice concentrate, cooking oil, real vanilla extract and similar original totes are good. It can be risky to get one that has been re-used before you buy it, then you only have their word on what has been in it. The exception is if a maple producers is selling it and only used it for sap.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Down to the wire here , hoping to have the sugar house sided and the roof on by end of weekend . Got it framed today . Picked up my evaporator this weekend and about 100 buckets and taps !
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234