+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many taps on laterals (using 1inch mainline)

Default How many taps on laterals (using 1inch mainline)

Last year i used a shurflow pump and had about 40 taps all on 5/16 tubing. Needless to say i didn't get good results. This year i want to use 1 inch mainline and 5/16 laterals. But not sure how many taps per lateral, thanks.

I also have 1” mainlines in our woods, i strive for 3-5 on each lateral. With that said i do have some with one and some with 7. Kinda depends on the lay of land and tree location. Strive for 5, or under and you will have good results.
    Kevin

Five taps per lateral is the rule but you can do as many as ten if necessary.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

The last sections of woods tubed we averaged 2.6 taps per lateral. Our per tap syrup average has been steadily going up. We feel this and 1" mains are big reason why.

Ok great, also does the length of laterals have a limit or the length of mainline? Thanks for the help

Follow the strive for 5, never more than 10. Using a sureflow pump you also want to have a recirculation line, from either the sap destination tank or the pump outlet, back to near the pump inlet. That line is best if it has a needle valve inline. The purpose of this line is to keep the diaphragm wet, a wet diaphragm pulls far better than a dry one. That line can be either 3/16 or 5/16, but it can be throttled back so the flow is only a little, not the full potential of the line, you want just enough to keep the diaphragm wet. Also, don't run the pump when there is ice in the lines, ice is real hard on the diaphragm.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

3/16" tubing is not recommended for flat ground. Will it work? Yes, you will collect some sap. Is it optimal? Definitely not, your yield will be lower than with 5/16" tubing.

"Strive for 5, never more than 10" is the rule for pumped vacuum systems (this was derived from research at the UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr). Our average # taps/lateral is around 3 currently. Peak sap production is 1 tap per lateral in 5/16" systems, and it is possible to do better than that with unconventional approaches, but these are not economically viable at current bulk syrup prices. In conversations with tubing installers, they are averaging below 3 taps/lateral in new installations.

Length of lateral line should be under 150'. Length of mainline depends upon how far you need to get...but the diameter of the mainline will increases as length increases and varies depending upon whether you have a single mainline system or dual-line (wet-dry) system. A great deal more info is in the New York Maple Tubing Manual (Cornell University). With 40 taps...you won't need to worry about a dual-line system. 3/4" mainline pipe would work (don't bother with 1/2" pipe for several reasons).

With a diaphragm pump, your main concern will be keeping the system as leak-free as possible. These pumps work well, but are not very forgiving of leaks since they don't move much CFM (they are liquid pumps after all, not air pumps). Either way, your vacuum will fall off quickly if you have any leaks and on hot days when the trees are releasing a good quantity of gas along with the sap.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks everyone for all your input, im gonna give it a go this spring. Hope you all have a great sap season!!!

Also watch your overall run on each lateral. Look around at saddle options and who has the best luck with which one. Avoid re-tensioning mainline with saddles installed, just don't do it. A few extra saddles may yield more sap which will definitely give you a good return over the life span of the tubing. Keep your joints tight. Consider SS maple style fittings over plastic.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

+ Reply to Thread