+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools for tubing

andrew martin Guest

Default Tools for tubing

I am going to try tubing on some small sections of my bush this year, what tools do I need to attach tubing to the varying connectors? I won't be using HT wire since these are small sections of trees bunched close together. I planned on using mainyly 5/16" and 1/2" tubing since I won't have more than 20 trees per section. I do not want to spend a fortune and I am on a budget this year. THanks.

Andrew

The one handed tubing tool will work well for you. It's 60 or 70 $ but well worth it. Other wise a thermos of boiling water works too. Just put the end of tubing in the water, let it soften, and then slip it on the fittings.

Andrew- if you use semi-ridged tubing you dont need tools,,just chew on the tubing and jam it together with your hands,tools make the job a lot eaiser and faster,if you use ridgid tubing you will have to have at least a one handed tool,,,,you can do everything with a one hander,,,,a 2 hander is awful nice for putting in drops but not 100% (pretty hard to do with a one hander) necessary,,agine alot easier and faster,,it really all depends on what type of tubing and fittings you use,if you use semiridged tubing and "Lamb" mainline t's tools are not necessary {other than a good set of pruning shears for cutting tubing and a screw driver for the hose clamps,,,)
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Use a nut driver instead of a screw driver, it does not slip off the head.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Parker,
    Curious as to where you guys are using the hose clamps?

Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

If you use the screw drivers that have the removable tips with the reversable shank. The shank with the tip removed makes a perfect nut driver for hose clamps. Less tools you need to cary with you.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

Chris; On ours we use the Lambs 3/4 main line tees that have 4 connections for 5/16. Kind of look like a ' blue turtle'. They use either the hose clamp or the snap ring style clamp.If you only need 2-3 of the connection we just put a cap over the other inlets

Jim
    P.S. we have the RO plumbed up and ready to run!
    Maple consultant for 50 years

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    Andrew- if you use semi-ridged tubing you dont need tools,,just chew on the tubing and jam it together with your hands,tools make the job a lot eaiser and faster,if you use ridgid tubing you will have to have at least a one handed tool,,,,you can do everything with a one hander,,,,a 2 hander is awful nice for putting in drops but not 100% (pretty hard to do with a one hander) necessary,,agine alot easier and faster,,it really all depends on what type of tubing and fittings you use,if you use semiridged tubing and "Lamb" mainline t's tools are not necessary {other than a good set of pruning shears for cutting tubing and a screw driver for the hose clamps,,,)
    Try not to chew the semi-rigid like you would for the old style tubing as it may cause leaks. I've found that moistening the barbed end you want to insert into the tubing really helps. A 2-handed tubing tool is worth its weight in gold. We got one last winter and have assembled and installed over 1500 droplines using it. No other method of installation has been nearly as fast.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I am as cheap as anyone, but a 1 handed and a 2 handed tool are both invaluable in my experience, especially the 2 handed tool when you are making repairs with lines that have a lot of tension on them. I wouldn't want to be without either one as I was for in the past.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Default tool

learning the hard way. if you want good vac. do not put the tubing in hot water, your mouth, or chew you will have leaks. use a tool. it took me 20 years of saying i dont want to carry it around. it paid for it self in one day of tubing instillation and sap gained. i just bought the multi tool and do not know how i lived with out that. i used a sheetrock knife for years, and many bloody thumbs.shop around there are many different makes and prices. depends on how fancy you want your tool
    10,000 taps and adding on vac.4 liquid ring pumps, lapierre 5x14 thunderbolt, 1800 R/O

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/mapletime/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast