+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple Cream Question

Default Maple Cream Question

So I have made Maple Cream twice in the last year and both times did not turn out like I would have expected. Seems to be firmer than I would of thought. So I am thinking I am doing something wrong. So I heat it to 234 degrees and let sit in a ice water bath till temperature is 75 degrees then stir by hand. I have both times stirred 2 long and it starts to set in the bowl while I am trying to get it out. Would stirring to long cause it to be firmer/ almost hard like you would expect from Maple Candy (is not spreadable) or maybe I am bringing it to high for temperature and need to try a few degrees lower. The first time I quickly added some maple syrup to it and stirred that in and it softened it up a little bit. This is just for personal use since I only make under 10 gallons of Syrup a year and trying to use it for other things than just syrup.

Thanks,
    Bryan

Too high of a temperature,should be 230-232,I generally run about 231.7 or so seems to be about right
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

You are likely boiling it a little too high. The target for cream is 22-24 deg above b.p. 234 isn't necessarily too high around here, but maybe for you it is. If your thermometer is off by a degree or two it can all add up. Keep notes as you make each batch, check the b.p. for water as you get started and/or back off your target temp a couple of degrees each time until you get the consistency you want.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I have learned to take my syrup off 2pts early. I have a digital thermometer and the temperature continues to climb after I take it off the Heat. When making cream and candy 1-2° is a big deal.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread