+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early tapping

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Tapholes not connected to vacuum will dry out more quickly. If you use new regular spouts with vacuum, tapholes will stay open for decent amount of time. If you use CV they'll last longer.
    Tim how does natural vacuum from 3/16" play into what you have mentioned?
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Vacuum is vacuum is vacuum. Four things are critical to success with 3/16" tubing. Decent slope (change in elevation), maintaining a tight (leak-free) tubing system, spout/dropline sanitation, and prevention of plugging.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

We are below zero at night and in the teens during the day. If I were to tap now with new taps and then cap those taps until the maples flow, would the flow be hindered?
    In my way of thinking, it seems it would be too cold for any bacteria to exist and if I seal them with a cap, the tap holes wouldn't be able to dry out? Can this be correct?
    2016- 32 taps, 3 1/2 gallons
    2017- 150 taps, 13 gallons after building an evaporator
    2018- goal is 240+ taps. 20+ gallons.
    2018 Reality- 235 taps, 5 gallons of syrup. Average 50 birch taps and 3 gallons of syrup.
    2019- 180 maple taps, 20 gallons of finished syrup.
    ~ 160 birch taps, 13 finished gallons of syrup.

Latitude 47.278150

www.facebook.com/livingoffmyland2015

Thanks Dr. Tim for the insight. We generally see a drop in temps leading through the middle of Jan with temps raising enough to start tapping around the 20th. So we still have some time before any thing is for certain anyhow. I always get antsy and have to refrain from making judgement calls too early. I think I've heard it said here before "We'll know for sure when the season's over" or something to that affect.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by billschi View Post
    We are below zero at night and in the teens during the day. If I were to tap now with new taps and then cap those taps until the maples flow, would the flow be hindered?
    In my way of thinking, it seems it would be too cold for any bacteria to exist and if I seal them with a cap, the tap holes wouldn't be able to dry out? Can this be correct?
    Anytime the temperature inside the taphole is above freezing, there can be some microbial growth. Unless you tapped aseptically (don't bother trying), the microbes are there. So even tapping and capping "might" result in some degradation of the taphole over time if there were some thaws.

It's kind of like having a piece of chicken in your freezer. Not a problem if you leave it there...it'll last a good long time. But you don't occasionally pull it out and put it on the shelf for 5-24 hrs for 3-5 times during the winter and still expect it's going to be OK. The "cap" you talk about would be the packaging on the chicken....it helps some, but can you fully trust there wasn't something there before it got wrapped?

The real question is...why would you even want to chance it? The big guys with 50,000+ taps have to tap early in order to be done in time for the typical season timing. With 180 taps...wait until it is closer to a more appropriate time.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Here in southern CT it is January 10, 2020. I hope it is the same date in the rest of the listening area. I will have 40 taps this year and will not even consider putting my lines back up until it stays below freezing for more then 48 hours.

If your anxious to drill holes I suggest getting a piece of scrap wood and have at it.

I feel very sorry for the guys that have to start tapping trees now!

Although they might be the only ones who make any syrup at all this year.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12