+ Reply to Thread

Thread: December Journal

Default December Journal

December is here, starting the journal on day one for a change. I finished filling the woodshed yesterday just before the big snow storm that's in the forecast for tonight into Tuesday. If I run out of wood it will be an excellent season.

The tire shop says that they can fix the rusted rear wheel on my tractor and it will be ready this week. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since I dropped it off for them to fix. Bad timing because it's snow tire season. I got my wood done without the tractor but wish that I had it to plow snow with. They are calling for up to 14" of snow which will be hard to plow with my 4 wheeler.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple producing world!

Algier 2x6 evaporator, W F Mason arch
    Lapierre 250 Turbo RO machine
    SP-22 vacuum pump
    1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    1971 IH 454 52hp diesel tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    About a dozen chainsaws and no chickens

I have about 3 more loader buckets full before I'm done. I was going to do them today, but my plans got changed to mounting the minute mount plow which only took 75 minutes, then I had a honey do project to do. Maybe tomorrow if the storm isn't too bad, maybe later in the week. The trees have been down for 2 years and the cherry I'm working on now is off the ground. It contains far more wood than 3 buckets full worth. It will dry in time, is fairly dry already.
    This week I restarted my battery back up portion of my solar system after connecting a 48V LiFePo4 battery bank. I re set the charge profile since the 11 yr old bank that I replaced was lead acid. These LiFePo4 batteries should last about 30+ years and I likely won't (73 now).
    Right now we are in Storm warning, it has snowed , then freezing rain then back to snow for 10 hrs already. Is forecast to last thru tomorrow afternoon, then I'll plow at the sugarhouse. I hate the first plowing when the ground was not frozen hard enough to not thaw under the new snow. Not fun!
    Sales continue strong. I restocked my 1 retail outlet on Wednesday, returned Saturday and had to go get more stock, sales had been strong in-between, everything, and the bourbon barrel aged again was the big seller.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, doing fewer each year, about 450 planned for 2020 (and after?)
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    added a gooseneck equipment trailer and F350 to tow it to haul more sap
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

Started repairing and tightening 3/16 laterals Friday. Replaced one complete run. This is the year to replace drops, so that stuff arrived Friday and I'll start making drops on rainy days. Every line needs work, as I cut some timber and had to break lines to drag out logs. The good news was my logs sold really high and I have some extra cash. I'm also replacing my stack. I'll also be doing my first cleaning after summer in the shack. I don't understand how it can get so dirty when it's been basically closed up all summer. After that wash up the pan and check bricks, blower and wash collection tanks. I usually do some early season syrup around Christmas, but I still have stock so I may pass this year.
    100 -110 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Got all the down limbs and branches off the lines last week before we get more snow. All lines are off the ground. Bottled some quarts and 250ml glass to get ready for the annual local craft fair we attend which is this coming Saturday. Holiday sales have started out strong and we have plenty on the shelf now. Once we get through the holidays, we'll invest in some more mainline and tubing to set up 180 new roadside taps. The season will be here before we know it.

+ Reply to Thread