+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recommendations needed on 5/16 two handed tubing tool

Default Recommendations needed on 5/16 two handed tubing tool

Old tubing tool worn out,got it back in the eighties. Looking to replace,prices are pretty comparable between brands,anyone have experience with one working better than others? Thanks
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

https://lineviper.com/ I picked this up about 6 weeks ago being left handed it took me longer to get used to it now that I have I like it alot.
    Brian

Sorry you said two hand
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

I've had several types over the years, but I now only use 2 types. For 2 hand tools I really like the LOAC tool, mine does both 3/16 and 5/16 with a quick adjustment. For repairs I just use a 1 hand tool. It is simply a tool made using a pair of pliers, it grips the tubing, and pushes the fitting into the tubing. It also cuts tubing, but I use a separate cutter. When using the 1 hand tool, I also carry a set of tubing grips joined with a 1/8" piece of cord. The grips each have 2 slots, one fits snugly on 3/16, or 5/16 by using the right slot. I snap one on each side of where I need to cut for repair, then everything can be done with a 1 hand tool. These holders can also be made using 1/4" plywood.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Can you explain more on the plywood peice? I'm guessing you just make a slot the size of your tubing or maybe even a tad smaller to grip it better? I want a set but dont want to pay for it lol
    2016 7 taps= 1-2 gallons of syrup
    2017 135 taps making 17 gallons syrup
    2018 75 taps =50 gallons syrup
    2019 70 taps making 20 gallons. Single 4x40 RO
    2020 bought 40 acres installed 250 tubing taps, 100 bags. 70 gal
    2021 500 taps with guzzler. 80 gal syrup + sold sap
    2022 600 taps 27 gal sap per tap on guzzler!!! 110 gal + sold sap

Yes, just a little smaller. Then the cord joining them is near one end. You might best get the concept by checking here: https://www.bascommaple.com/item/tubth/tubing_tools/ (likely others also carry them)
    That is an aluminum version, I have both wood and aluminum, the wood ones seem to be easier to use. My wood ones only have 2 grips, the aluminum one at Bascom, have a third, you attach one end grip one side of where you will cut a lateral, attach the middle one at the other side of where you will cut, and then you can pull the third one and then attach it near the middle one to create a loose section in which to work. The middle one is free to slide on the cord, the other 2 are tied near opposite ends of the cord.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread