+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flip Style Stack Cap

That's how mine works too, except rather than a spring, one SS cable holds it just short of the balance point and the pull SS line holds it open.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    That's how mine works too, except rather than a spring, one SS cable holds it just short of the balance point and the pull SS line holds it open.
    I was just out in the barn looking at it and was thinking about that idea as well.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Quote Originally Posted by wnybassman View Post
    Yeah, I've searched all over the place for pictures of flip cap installations, not many to be found.
    I already have it, bought it from Leader. I am using cable (I have it already) 1/8" or maybe slight bigger. Two cables will need to be used, and it appears both will need to be simultaneously used for opening, and closing. Nearly 270º of movement with no stopper. Might have to fabricate a stopper of some kind.
    Haven't decided whether I was going to go through the roof, or go down the outside.
    I even thought about attaching large eyebolts to the "control arm" and using a long pole with a hook/stud on the end to open and shut it. Would need to be about 14' to 16' long though. 1/2" EMT conduit might be an idea, IDK.
    Thanks for the ideas so far, keep them coming!
    Noel, I have a flip style cap that I bought from Leader back in 09' when I purchased our 2x6. I took a few pictures yesterday.

I only attached one cable to the "arm". I didn't see a need for two. When you pull on the cable, the lid and arm both rotate the 270° you mention.
    Once in the open position; a short tug on the cable pulls the arm down and causes the lid to rotate back over the stack.
    Just a short pull to get some momentum built up is all it takes. Couldn't be simpler..

My cable is a length of 1/8" 7x19 stainless sailboat rigging wire. It leads down over the roof and along side the sugar house.
    It did take me a while to remember to open the stack...putting it through the roof may have been a wiser choice...

Pictures attached. I also shot a short video, but can't see how to load it. If you want to send a PM, I'd be happy to email or text it to you.

John

allin- stack cap closed.jpg allin- stack cap open.jpg
    Last edited by johnallin; 11-25-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

The Lapierre one we have flips from flat closed to straight up in the open position - so only 90 degrees of rotation. It requires 2 ropes to operate but is simple and easy.

From experience - use #14 wire for the first 6 feet or so because the rope will touch the stack and burn through right when you are firing it!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Noel, I have a flip style cap that I bought from Leader back in 09' when I purchased our 2x6. I took a few pictures yesterday.

I only attached one cable to the "arm". I didn't see a need for two. When you pull on the cable, the lid and arm both rotate the 270° you mention.
    Once in the open position; a short tug on the cable pulls the arm down and causes the lid to rotate back over the stack.
    Just a short pull to get some momentum built up is all it takes. Couldn't be simpler..

My cable is a length of 1/8" 7x19 stainless sailboat rigging wire. It leads down over the roof and along side the sugar house.
    It did take me a while to remember to open the stack...putting it through the roof may have been a wiser choice...

Pictures attached. I also shot a short video, but can't see how to load it. If you want to send a PM, I'd be happy to email or text it to you.

John

Attachment 20366 Attachment 20365
    That does seem easy! Do you have any problem with wind blowing that open without a wire holding tension on it while closed? That was one concern of mine.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Noel Good
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Quote Originally Posted by wnybassman View Post
    That does seem easy! Do you have any problem with wind blowing that open without a wire holding tension on it while closed?
    That was one concern of mine. Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    It has blown open once or twice, but only when I had the cable going straight back and hanging along the back wall of the sugar house.

I've not had that happen since I started leading it to the side and hanging along the side wall.
    Can't tell you why that works - and it was by accident that I discovered it - but we've had some real daisy cutters blow through here without blowing it open.
    The stack is only 3' from the back wall, so it might be that the cable was swinging around in the wind - it doesn't take much to flip the cap open.
    When it's laying on the roof and hanging to the side, I think movement is limited.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post

John

Attachment 20366 Attachment 20365
    This is Exactly how I have mine setup too. Wind has maybe blown it open 2 or 3 times in 5 years.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Coincidentally, I'm in the process of changing mine. I made it myself. I have a single arm with one cable that had a spring close it, but high winds eventually flipped the cover back too far and stretched the spring out too much. So for the last number of years, I've had to give it a flick to get the cover to flip over shut. I'm pretty good during the day, but after midnight it's hard to see the cable and lid so I have to try again and again adding some colorful language for effect.

I've finally made it a priority and gotten up there to see what my options are. I'd prefer to take it down and weld another arm onto it that is in the up position when the lid is flipped open, but the screws are corroded on. I think taking it down will be twice the work. I think if I drill through the existing arm, maybe I can bolt a new arm on. Thanks for the cable idea. Maybe I can make that work.

Anyway, that's all a long way to say I wish I had a cap with two arms and two cables.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I was excited about the one cable idea. I got the cap mounted and must of twanked it just a bit because it was no longer loose and floppy like it was. Still moved relatively easily, but couldn't swing it around with a quick flick of a cable. So I ended up using two cables and put a stop on the one so it only opens so far. Screwed a stainless eye-screw into the roof right at the edge for something for that cable stop go up against, and to keep the cables off the roof a bit. A couple bungee cords at the bottom of the wall keep the cables tight, and pressed closed or open. Should work as long as snow/ice isn't a problem. But if sap is running, snow/ice on a black 12/12 roof usually isn't a problem. lol

Thanks for the comments and ideas!

flipcap.jpg
    Noel Good
    www.wnybass.com

Looks good. That wont blow open for sure. Honestly I think that I was putting my stack up 2 Days before Maple weekend and I had one Cable Handy so that's what it got , and it Has worked, if I had had more time I may have done what you have there. Looks professional
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast