+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flip Style Stack Cap

Default Flip Style Stack Cap

I have always had a China Cap style stack cap and now in the process of installing a flip style cap. My theory as to why I am switching is safety. With my current cap it seems embers hit that cap and deflect and fly in every direction. With a flip style they will shoot straight up and have a bit of time to cool before coming back down.

Anyway, I am at a standstill as too how to mount the cap, and how to orient it to have the cables come down to operate.

Would love to see some close-up pictures of your solutions!!

Thanks!
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Noel,
    I like the flip up cap style. I think you will get better draft on your arch. As far as embers, yse that can and still be a issue. I reduced my hot embers the most when I added the Air Over Fire system.
    I have a rope coming down the back wall that pulls the stack lid open.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Noel,
    I like the flip up cap style. I think you will get better draft on your arch. As far as embers, yse that can and still be a issue. I reduced my hot embers the most when I added the Air Over Fire system.
    I have a rope coming down the back wall that pulls the stack lid open.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Any pictures Chris? Did you "guide" the rope in any way, if so, how?
    Noel Good
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

I don't have pictures but I run mine with small cable so it won't rot through the roof with a rubber grommet. Then I have the cable running trough a couple pulleys to my back wall. I have screw in the wall that I hook it to that keeps it closed.
    Jared

On my wood fired arch my pull was plastic coated wire. It didn’t come inside, I went outside to open it and hook the wire to a nail. I’ve switched to an oil fired arch and don’t know what kind of cover I’m going to use.
    Last edited by Father & Son; 11-22-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

Noel,
    I dont have any good pictures of my homemade lid. It has worked good for almost 20 years and we get good draft when its open. Not so good when closed, don't ask me how we know that! Like most things maple, the customization factor takes over at some point to fit the project or the sugarhouse. Did you try to do a search on here? Do you have the lid already? Maybe some pictures of it may get some thoughts going too?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

My 2x6 had a flip cap which worked well, 2 cables, pull one it opens, pull the other it closed.
    My current 3x8 flip cap, not so. The operating arm that flips is welded wrong. Rather than try to cut it off and get the arm right, I just use 2 cables. The first holds the flip cap from opening too far, before I set that the cap would tilt so the cap hung straight down, then there was only one way to close it, I had to climb a ladder and flip it. After 1 day of that I attached cable #1 to hold the cap at just short of flipping over, it is attached to a fixed point on the arch. The second cable (each is light weight SS cable) has a hook on the end, to open the cap I pull until cable one stops it, then I hook #2 to a chain at the back of the arch. This works well thus I won't likely ever change the position of the operating lever. My first one had a stop welded to the mounting bracket, the current one does not. Both just run thru a small hole in the steel ridge cap. If memory serves me, I think those holes are about 1/8" (made by driving an 8 penny nail thru the steel ridge cap) and I think the SS cable was 5/64' This has worked well for about 12 or 13 seasons.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yeah, I've searched all over the place for pictures of flip cap installations, not many to be found.

I already have it, bought it from Leader.

I am using cable (I have it already) 1/8" or maybe slight bigger.

Two cables will need to be used, and it appears both will need to be simultaneously used for opening, and closing. Nearly 270º of movement with no stopper. Might have to fabricate a stopper of some kind.

Haven't decided whether I was going to go through the roof, or go down the outside.

I even thought about attaching large eyebolts to the "control arm" and using a long pole with a hook/stud on the end to open and shut it. Would need to be about 14' to 16' long though. 1/2" EMT conduit might be an idea, IDK.

Thanks for the ideas so far, keep them coming!
    Noel Good
    www.wnybass.com

I'm not sure who made mine, I bought it from Bascom from their clearance bin. I later thought it was in there because it was designed poorly (no stop and the wrong position on the control arm), but as I described, I got it to work.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

wyn,
    Maybe mentioned but if you can spring load it to over center back to the closed position then you can just have a pull cord to open and then lock the pull cord. That is how mine works, release the cord and the lid springs back closed.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 11-24-2019 at 08:44 AM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast