+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it going to be a good season?

Default Is it going to be a good season?

I don't know about you, but I am asked this all the time. The truth is that I have no idea whatsoever. But I always say "Yes! I think it will be good!" Sometimes I add in something like there was a lot of rain, and that's good or something. What do you say? I know that if you add too much detail to the answer most people's eyes glaze over and they move on to some other subject.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Just tell them to ask you again on May 1st.

That's an easy one. Every season is a good season so of course it will be! Will me make any syrup?..........who the hell knows but we'll have fun trying! Some things I know will happen and can look forward to:
    1) I will trip in my snowshoes, fall upside down and have taps, tees, connectors and tools go flying. If I'm lucky, the tubing tool WON'T smack me in the head and it will only take me a half hour to get back upright.
    2) I will get the snowmobile stuck at least once and curse, punch and kick it a few times before finally getting it out.
    3) I will stand on the mountain on a beautiful winter day and proclaim that this is why we do it.
    4) My wife will call me a moron and ask why I couldn't have taken up carpentry so I could fix stuff around the house.
    5) I will stand on the mountain on a miserably cold and windy day and wonder why the hell we do it.
    6) By May I will be ready for something different but still smiling about sugar season whether we get a 0.10 yield or 0.50

Sugar season starts this Sunday, heading in to the bush with a chainsaw for a couple days. Hoping like heck we have less snow than last year. So far, so good!

mainebackswoodssyrup has it right!

Good:
    - Get to spend a lot of time outdoors and away from the office.
    - Use things I've put lots of effort into making; incredibly rewarding.
    - My son helps and he learns and experiences something pretty unique and can find pride in the help he provides. Maybe he'll pass it on to the next generation.
    - Spend some quality time watching water evaporate; some of that time I'm alone and there's a lot of good in having that time to focus on you and what you enjoy. Some of that time is spent watching steam rise and wood (and beer and pizza) disappear with a gathering of friends.

Bad:
    n/a
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

I do like VT Maple, ask me in May.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Folks,
    Cant remember a "bad" maple season! Just some are better than others. Always good to have the rebirth of spring, sap flows, wood makes a warm fire in the arch, syrup boils and the sugarhouse smells so good! Family and friends come and set and visit in the sugarhouse. Yea it will be a good season!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I like it! We're going to fix a few spots where the beasties chewed and where trees fell in the last 2 windstorms this weekend, so the sugar season kinda starts for us too. It's going to be a good season!
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf

It's always a good season for one reason or another but if I run of wood it will be a great season!

The trees had plenty of sun and moisture this summer so we should see a high sugar content like we did last season. If the temperatures will cooperate we could have a record season this coming year.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

The only thing I know is that if we have a warm January and February then we lose some of the sap that would have shown up in March. So I may be able to say if it will be a good season just before the season. Maybe...
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf

It could be a good season if it stays cold during January and early February, then warms up nicely, but not too much into March. We'll see...
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf

+ Reply to Thread