+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very Quiet in the Mountain State

I also think climate change is real but I'm not sure to what degree man caused vs natural causes. The earth has gone thru at least 5 ice ages, in between it got real warm and at that time there were either no people of so few they could not affect the climate. Much was caused by other factors like big asteroids hitting the earth, or large volcano eruptions, spewing thousands of tons of vulcannic ash into the atmosphere, causing a solar winter. Man and his dirty ways certainly tips the scale of pollution in the wrong direction, but is it 1%, 2% or even more that is really caused by human activity? I don't think anyone really knows.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, doing fewer each year, about 450 planned for 2020 (and after?)
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    added a gooseneck equipment trailer and F350 to tow it to haul more sap
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

Dr, Tim,

A well thought out response on climate change. I agree in the large part and think on the same lines. I want to see scientific data and not presumptions. Oddly you mention fish , as that was my career. I retired from a career as a Hatchery manager. Water quality was a big issue with me and you are spot on about the acid rain and water pollution as a whole. You hear the EPA maligned a lot, but without them we would be in a very sad state of affairs. I remember burning rivers and oil slicks. I knew lakes that where the prettiest blue and green water you ever seen, but sterile as a surgical suite when it came to aquatic life. This ole earth is a great healer if we will act responsibly and be good stewards. We suffered mass deforestation in our past history and we seen many species almost extirpated, but due to the diligent science of our grandfathers and fathers we have seen a lot of those come back. I do think there is some unnecessary panic over carbon loading, but it's still an issue. Panic is the stepchild of political alarmist and serve agendas that are not necessarily good science or law. Balance is usually the key. I think we are experiencing cyclic change but the extremes are driven by human dynamics that tip the scales.

On the other question......yeah I didn't think you'd take that bait. Yet I am a fully engaged Christian and I wouldn't dismiss it either. What I do believe is God expects us to be be good stewards of his creation and he did not give it to us to destroy. All knowledge is a gift. You may or may not agree with that and I am ok with that too. We all have a free choice.
    100 -110 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Man and his dirty ways certainly tips the scale of pollution in the wrong direction, but is it 1%, 2% or even more that is really caused by human activity? I don't think anyone really knows.
    George knows!

https://youtu.be/ko3w02ycBwI

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    On the other question......yeah I didn't think you'd take that bait. Yet I am a fully engaged Christian and I wouldn't dismiss it either. What I do believe is God expects us to be be good stewards of his creation and he did not give it to us to destroy. All knowledge is a gift. You may or may not agree with that and I am ok with that too. We all have a free choice.
    I agree that wise use (and not waste) along with stewardship of resources is the best course. My personal philosophy is to live and let live (tolerance)...which I think is a common Vermont attitude.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    I agree that wise use (and not waste) along with stewardship of resources is the best course. My personal philosophy is to live and let live (tolerance)...which I think is a common Vermont attitude.
    That's the attitude in Canaan Valley! It's often likened to VT in very many ways including weather. Just less money and cost of living

ps. Tim, do you know mike rechlin?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by canaanmaple View Post
    That's the attitude in Canaan Valley! It's often likened to VT in very many ways including weather. Just less money and cost of living
    The cost of living and similarity to VT makes WV tempting as a place to retire to in a few years...as long as I could find a place in a warmer valley. Vermont has a lot going for it, but winters are too long and it is getting too costly to live here. I've had enough of the cold and snow to last me a while. Time to head to somewhere in the Caribbean. Different kind of sugar...will have to switch to rum I guess.

Retirement locale may be dictated in part by where my daughter ends up after her husband's medical fellowship (pediatric gastroenterology) ends.

ps. Tim, do you know mike rechlin?
    Sure do. Talked to him a little just a month ago at the North American meeting in MN.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 12-04-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12