+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternate uses for Sugar shack?

Default Alternate uses for Sugar shack?

I’ve been toying with the idea of building a sugar shack for quite some time. But I keep finding it difficult to justify since it is really only in use for between four and six weeks out of the year. So what else do people here are use them for? Thank you!

Unfortunately mine gets used to store non maple equipment which I hate! I would like to close the doors when done with the season and open again next January! I just need to build another building for the other items! Yea it doesnt seam right just to use it for 4 months. I do use a portion of it for the honey projects. I also use the kitchen portion through out the year for making value added maple products too.
    You wont regret having a building to make syrup in! I really like having a fairly well equipped sugarhouse.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
    I’ve been toying with the idea of building a sugar shack for quite some time. But I keep finding it difficult to justify since it is really only in use for between four and six weeks out of the year. So what else do people here are use them for? Thank you!
    My 12x16 sugar house is also our garden shed....I keep all of our tools, wheelbarrow, gardening supplies. The shack sits on a full cement block foundation which serves as a part root cellar and part storage. I have a shed roof off one side which I use to store wood and hang my deer hunting clothes so they don't get wet and can air out. On the other side I have a tractor shed...I keep my tractor there in the summer and my snowmobile there in the winter. All kinds of storage for tractor chains, 3 point lift arms, pto shafts, etc. And in the shed itself I have a half loft with pull down attic stairs. This is where I keep all of my deer hunting gear, treestands, and clothes during the season. From mid-October through Dec. 31st I get changed into and out of my hunting clothes.

Making the most of the structure and designing it with multiple uses will justify the expense.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Thank you for the ideas!

I’ve done some thinking based on both of your replies. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have a new 12x16 shed I built a couple years ago for lawn equipment. If I simply add a cupola and vent the heck out of it, it will work well. I’ll just need to figure out where to store the stuff that’s already in it for a month and a half during the season.

The floor is wood, but that should be easily solved for by fire brick or pouring a small section of concrete over the existing floor. I’ll post pictures if/when I can make time this summer.

Thank you again.

We will be using ours for making maple and birch syrup. We also make spruce tip, raspberry, blueberry, chamomile and sarsaparilla syrups. We forage off our land to make all sorts of jams and jellies too. We make all this for farmers markets and do 2/week and sell 10-12 cases per week. We live in a 400 sqft house so the sugar shack will be a welcomed building when it's finished.
    Cupola doors.jpg
    2016- 32 taps, 3 1/2 gallons
    2017- 150 taps, 13 gallons after building an evaporator
    2018- goal is 240+ taps. 20+ gallons.
    2018 Reality- 235 taps, 5 gallons of syrup. Average 50 birch taps and 3 gallons of syrup.
    2019- 180 maple taps, 20 gallons of finished syrup.
    ~ 160 birch taps, 13 finished gallons of syrup.

Latitude 47.278150

www.facebook.com/livingoffmyland2015

About the only other thing mine does is house the 4 wheeler the rest of the year. We have done some pressure canning in there too to keep the steam out of the kitchen, but not every year.

shackquad.jpg
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Currently have a 12x16 "sugar shed" but it is 100% for syrup considering I have a 2x6 evaporator and RO and keep 2 totes in the corner for concentrate and permeate, no extra space. When I build the "real" sugar house I'm planning on a full commercial kitchen space for value added maple products and other farm products we may want to get into. We could do processed products from the meat we sell. (Poultry, lamb, beef, pork)
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

I use mine primarily as a sugar house but do have a heated 10x12 RO room that is large enough to use as a workshop for small projects in the winter. It's also where I retail my syrup so it does get used year round for sales and canning. It was easy to justify the expense, my wife simply refused to sell product on Maple Weekend if she had to do it outside. Besides I have a lot of expensive equipment in there and it's nice to be able to keep it separated from other tools and such and keep it locked up.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

We will be using ours as a temporary pottery studio to run my fiancé's kiln this summer. We're hoping to build another building next year that will become her full time/year round pottery studio. Hopefully we can mill all the lumber this year and pour the slab, and then build next year. I need more hours in a day!
    2018- 125 Taps, 2,500 gal of sap sold
    2019- 414 Taps, new 12x24 Sugarhouse,
    new 2x6 Raised Flu D&G Evaporator,
    new 400gph D&G RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast