+ Reply to Thread

Thread: steam hood pics

Default steam hood pics

I'm hopin to get a stainless steam hood made by a local tinner, and interested in seeing pics of the underside of commercial made steam hoods. Do they all have drip pans below the stack collar to prevent the condensation in the stack from dripping back in the pan? I am assuming if they did it would be right under the collar at the top of the hood because most have access doors to see the boil. Any pics or details would be appreciated since I just need to submit a drawing/plans. (i know all the other dimensions and drip edge details, etc)

thanks!

This is a great topic Canaan. I just picked up a sheet metal break myself and plan to build a good for my rig once I get it out together. Some pics of hoods that people have put together would be fantastic. If possible, showing the under side would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Mead Maple View Post
    This is a great topic Canaan. I just picked up a sheet metal break myself and plan to build a good for my rig once I get it out together. Some pics of hoods that people have put together would be fantastic. If possible, showing the under side would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yeah there is a number of threads here, some with drawings, but not with a drip tray or anything. Here is a nice design using flashing.
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...-my-steam-hood

Curious if commercial evaporator steam hoods with site doors even have drip trays for condensation from the stack though, and how they work
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 10-23-2019 at 07:33 AM.

My homemade hoods utilized a drip tray under the stack that also held a pre-heater. My current one is a commercially made hood, it has a very wide, rather shallow funnel which is suspended from the stack. My stacks are 15" on both the flue pan and the syrup pan hoods and those funnels are about 19" OD. They are maybe 3" tall and an elbow exits the bottom of each. From there each has a channel hung from the elbow that carries the condensate to the nearest drain gutter in the hood. When my evaporator is at full boil those funnels catch a solid stream of condensation continually, with the flue pan hood flowing far faster than the syrup pan one.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread