+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Butterfly valve

Default Butterfly valve

Just thought it might help some of you guys out that are on a budget. I've wanted stainless butterfly valves for my home made cooker for a few years now. About a month ago I came across some home brewing web sites and found butterfly valves for a fraction of the price you can get from the maple supply dealers, I ended up on paying less then $50 for a 2 inch clamp valve. I wanted to install these valves on my syrup pans, so after each day of cooking I can close the valves and prevent all the different levels of sweet consentait mixing together through out the whole system and I won't have to drain all the pans empty if I want to rearrange the pans to cut back on buildup. Hope this helps some of you out!!

I've been buying such valves for years from Brewer's hardware, likely other brew sites may be good too. If using them on hot pans, be sure the temps are within the specs of the valves. I only use them on tanks, where the sap is cold.
    At least in the ones I've bought the sealing ball that rotates to open or close the flow is some sort a manufactured material and not SS, the rest of the ball valve is SS. It is food grade however, I just don't know how much heat it can take.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I guess I didn't take it in consideration, just assumed they meet heat standards since during brewing the contents are hot. I'm going to have to look in to it. Thanks for bring that point up maple flats.

I contacted the supplier I got the butterfly valves from and said they are rated for 300 degrees, so they will work.

Great, thanks for getting that answer, it will help those who want to valve hot sap/syrup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread