+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3/16 Tool

In addition to 2 of the LOAC tools, I also own a Line Viper. I find it works well but is heavier to carry than a LOAC 2 hand. I also own a LOAC 1 had but far prefer the 2 hand.With all of those, both my BIL and I tend to use my original 1 hand tool for repairs, it fits in a pocket and is less bulky. The one I use for that is a simple design, but it only is designed to work on 5/16, I carry a split piece of 5/16 to slip over the 3/16 to use it. I just looked but didn't see one like mine. It is built on a large size slip joint type pliers frame, but is not slip joint. When I open the handles far enough it opens a clamping jaw, as I squeeze the handles it tightens the clamp and pushes the end of the tubing towards a flat section with a slight curve and a slot in it. If installing a connector or T the opposite part extends thru that slot. It also has a low tech cutter on it but it still works well. I think this was the first tubing tool I ever got in about '04. Before that I used a thermos full of hot water.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I use a piece of 1/8" nylon rope and do a Chinese finger knot then around the tree ,put a truckers knot in the line and pull tight. I can use this to keep a section tight while I work on another section of line. Or you can tie one from both ways and take out a large section of slack.A little hard to explain but it works. Same idea as the end line plastic tie off but you are wrapping the finger instead of putting the line through the rope.

I noticed yesterday the Roth Sugarbush has the tubing holder for less than Bascom does.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

https://www.bascommaple.com/item/tfm.../tubing_tools/

Has anyone used this tool?

Only have +/- 50 taps on tubing and this price point is better than some of the others out there.
    2021 - 40 on 3/16, 20 on buckets. Added Shurflo.
    2020 - New Mason 2x3, 60 taps. 30 on 3/16 gravity (Too Flat), 30 buckets. 13 gal
    2019 - First season - Homemade barrel evap. 25 taps on buckets. 4 gal. THE ADDICTION BEGINS!!
    No Sugar Shack yet.
    Wishing I had more property/trees.

I'm not familiar with that one.

I was checking out the same tool. If it works the price is very good compared to other two-handed tools.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12