+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding plates to press

Hybrid View

Default Adding plates to press

Have anyone of you guys ever try running more then 7 hollow plates in one bank on a filter press? I can't see it hurting anything or will it be too much for the motor?

you can do this but you need to add the solid plate also and lengthen the bolts that hold it together
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

It would actually be less strain on the motor since it has more surface to force the same amount of syrup thru.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

So then in a sense as long as one adds the recommended amount of filter aid, more syrup could potentially be ran through the press because of the surface area? I have 2 wesfab 7 inch presses, one has a gear pump and the other just the bank, 12 sets of plates total, the benifit of 2 banks is if something goes wrong with the one all I'd have to do is switch banks, but then there's being able to run 40 to 80 gallons of syrup through one press without recharging it in between barrels. I'm thinking after next season I will be upgrading to a 10 inch press.

I'm not positive but I think that Wes Fab uses the same size gear pump and motor for both the short and long bank presses. My new Wes Fab press has 8 sets of plates. If the bolts are long enough fill up the space, it will work.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I would assume the motor and gear pump would be the same since you can order extra plates to add to the smaller banks. It just seems that nothing is bigger then 8 plates so it got me thinking if I could add more plates or not and be able to run more syrup through in one charge.

+ Reply to Thread