+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 syrup pans vs 3 syrup pans

Default 2 syrup pans vs 3 syrup pans

On some of the bigger evaporators some have 2 syrup pans and some have 3 syrup pans, besides being just a preference, is there any added benefits of having 3 syrup pans vs 2? besides the gain in heated space. Thanks!!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Less plumbing needed with fewer pans, but the weight of each pan increases with larger pans. Easier to swap out the pan closest to the drawoff to deal with niter with a smaller pan. Cheaper and easier to have one spare pan if you happen to burn one up or need to soak it for really built-up niter. A little more $ for more small pans than a fewer # of bigger pans.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

So what it all boils down to, it's more for easiness of handelinh vs performance of the evaporator as in quality of syrup when it gets drawn of, the amount of syrup being drawn off at a time, or just getting a few more gallons of water cooked off. Thanks for the response Dr. Tim!

If the total area of the syrup pan area is the same using 2 vs 3 pans the will be little if any difference in the boil rate.
    On my 3x8 I only have 1 syrup pan (3x3'), I also have a spare 3x3 if needed, I can swap pans and resume boiling while I clean the first pan. If I were doing it again, I'd have 2 pans, 1.5'x3' and a spare, just lighter to change.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    If I were doing it again, I'd have 2 pans, 1.5'x3' and a spare, just lighter to change.
    And maybe less need to clean quite as much. Typically with a multiple front-pan setup you would remove the front-most front-pan, slide the rear front-pan forward, then put the new pan in the rear. Very fast and easy to do.

That is one of the advantages of the Canadian/Cross-flow style of pan compared to the American/Reverse-flow style pans. Of course now there are all sorts of hybrids and modified style pans that'll do both.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Mine is the Canadian style cross flow, reversable, same side draw.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread