+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Number of taps related to size of pan.....??

Default Number of taps related to size of pan.....??

I’m curious if there is a general rule for the size of a boiling pan needed related to the number of taps that you have. I am working on a fuel oil tank for my evaporator, and I haven’t decided how big of a pan I should get. I will have about 25 taps this next spring and I would have to drive about 2-3 miles if I want more, so I am content with what I have for a couple years....
    Going to build the evaporator so I can always expand if needed.

What size pan would you recommend I get for 25 taps?

Thank you.

Checker, I built an oil tank evaporator this last winter. A 2x4 flat divided fit perfectly on it. For efficiency and availability I would do that. You are not saving anything going smaller really as far as price goes. Get something that is continuous flow. I really enjoyed it especially as I started to see gradient in the pans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Thank you Paul. So a 2x4 pan size is fine for 25 taps. I was afraid that having so few taps, a bigger pan would be overkill. I will setup for that then!!
    Thanks again!

No I don’t think. Depending what you can design for an arch I think about max on a 2x4 will be between 10-15 gallons on a flat pan. I maxed out on the 2x4 dividend continuous flow from light up to dead fire at 13gph evaporation rate. Probably in the middle of boiling would be higher. If memory serves me, but do not quote me, I was around 4 gallons or so to fill the pan. But I can’t remember specifically how much it was. But once the sap starts running 25 taps is more than enough to keep you busy

Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

Another place to look is any dealer catalog. They usually have #tap recommendations per arch and pans.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by mol1jb View Post
    Another place to look is any dealer catalog. They usually have #tap recommendations per arch and pans.
    Yup good call. Although I think those numbers are a bit skewed but it is certainly an approximate number that would be safe to use as a guideline. Great recommendation though!

Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

+ Reply to Thread