+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New sugar House build

You've probably already done it but, make sure the cavities on the cinder blocks are closed off at the top- one looks open in first group of pictures.

If not, you risk having them fill with water and freeze.... in which case they'll most certainly crack and/or blow apart....

Doesn't need to fancy, just keep the water out. Looks like it's going to be a really nice sugar house when you're finished, congrats.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I honestly never would have thought of that. Makes perfect sense though. Good spot.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Quote Originally Posted by raptorfan85 View Post
    I honestly never would have thought of that. Makes perfect sense though. Good spot.
    You’re very welcome.

My first “arch” was made up of cinder blocks. Ran across it in the woods a few years later, the blocks had almost disintegrated!
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    If you don't use a sheet goods or a 1x solid cover deck with a good water proof membrane under the steel roofing it will rain inside as the steam that hits the cold under side of the roofing condenses. Trust me, every drip finds the back of your neck. Either that or use a hood over the pans.
    Maple flats, what are you using as a barrier under the metal? Just 1” thick pine sheathing with nothing between that and the metal, or using bituthane underlayment? Or is there another alternative? Putting my roof on next week and only want to do it once

I used the Grace Tri Flex synthetic roofing underlayment on mine. Works great and you get pretty good traction on it walking around on the roof. Think I paid about 100 dollars for a big roll of it at HD
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Unfortunately I was a total greenhorn when I built my sugarhouse, I just put up 1x8 purlins, spaced 6" apart, and attached the steel directly on the purlins. Before I added a hood the first year it rained inside, after that first season the "rain" because I added a hood. Been using a hood ever since on both pans, one sitting on the flue pan and one suspended about 14-16" above the syrup pan.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12