+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burning treated wood

Default Burning treated wood

I have access to a lot of treated wood scraps from deck jobs this past summer. I am wondering if burning them could hurt my pans or if it won't make a difference.

Not sure about your pans but it is not good to burn treated wood, very nasty emissions. In fact I think it is considered hazardous waste.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Burning pressure treated wood is not advised anywhere. It contains many compounds that can be inhaled that are toxic, copper based compounds, arsenic, chromium, etc... After doing some research it was suggested to use up as many scraps for building projects as possible. It does not appear that it is acceptable to be placed into landfills according to information obtained from the manufacturers labels.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

I would avoid it. We once had a sugarmaker bring us pans that was riddled with pinholes. Although the pans were only a few years old, he had burned PT wood and tubing in the arch, creating some really nasty acids that ate right through the pan in just a couple of seasons. He was a rather unhappy fellow when we (and the equipment company) both told him he essentially had destroyed his pans.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Someone we knew did decks and brought home all his scrap burning it in his woodstove in the house. Eventually him and his family all ended up in the hospital. They traced their health problems back to burning that PT wood. Jay
    Zucker Lager

Don't do it. I won't even burn it in a campfire due to the toxic smoke.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread