+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDL 3/16 tubing kinking with double barb tee?

Default CDL 3/16 tubing kinking with double barb tee?

New to 3/16 tubing, putting in 100 taps this year with 25 taps on 4 ~900 foot lines.

I have a maple tech 2 handed 3/16 tool I am using to make drops and cut tees into main line. The 2 barb tees are very tight and rediculously strong once installed which I like (tubing will stretch/break before it comes of fitting). The problem im having is sometimes the tubing will not want to fully go over the second barb. If I try to force it over the second barb it will kink and the tubing will be partially blocked. I'm mostly worried because when i go to cut in tee to the line I don't want kinks or have to keep throwing out drops.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Do I need to fully go over the second barb? (impossible to pull line off first barb)
    2019 50 aluminum buckets, selling sap. First year 19.7 gallons of syrup
    2020 130 on 3/16 tubing and 30 on aluminum buckets

Your fine with it not totally set I'd think. However, I like to see them fully seated. Try working them in warmer weather. It won't hurt anything to put them on in the fall and stick the spile on the tee stem until spring. If you don't have any luck that way some hot water in a thermos will soften the ends.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

First make sure the fitting is 3/16 and not 5/16. Second check the alignment when putting together, maple tech has decent tools could have been welded just a little off? The line will be snug but in no way should it kink .
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Some times it is really critical how much tubing is out beyond the clamps of the tubing tool, too much or too little and the alignment/geometry can be off and it makes it hard to put fittings in correctly.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Make sure it is a second barb and not a stop. I will have to look again but I think the second one is not a barb.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    Some times it is really critical how much tubing is out beyond the clamps of the tubing tool, too much or too little and the alignment/geometry can be off and it makes it hard to put fittings in correctly.
    100 percent this. I found this out pretty quickly when I started 3/16 tubing. Make sure there's not a lot hanging over past the end of the clamp. My tool has a recessed area that goes into the clamp to support the tubing while pressing the fitting in.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

I agree that the amount of tubing stinking out past the clamp is critical. However, I have also found that different runs of tubing can have slightly smaller inner diameters and be very tight. In these cases, I have found that a little water on the T can help lubricate along with warmer temps
    2018: 684 taps: 525-3/16" Gr.,159-3/16" Hybrid; Mountain Maple Super Sap Sucker, CDL 600 RO - 131 gal.; retired from WVU in May
    2017: 439 Taps - 3/16" Gravity, Goulds 18GBS15, CDL 2X6 Drop Flue, Wes Fab 7" SB Filter Press, Smokey Lake WJ Bottler - 90 gal.
    2016: 258 Taps - 3/16" Gravity, Honda WX15, NGMP 2X6 Flat Pan, Deer Run 125 RO - 68 gal.
    2015: 20 Taps - Jugs, Turkey Fryer and 2-Burner Stove - 2.5 gal.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Tubing size and fitting size is a big factor. Some manufacturers make fittings with bigger barbs for a tighter fit, and the inner diameter of tubing can vary a good deal from company to company and even from run to run from one company. And yes, the 2nd bump might be a stop and not a barb. Paying attention to tubing placement on the tool helps, as does a little water on the tubing if needed.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks for all the responses. My cdl 3/16 fittings definitely have a second barb, then there is a stop after that. I will definitely try the water idea and see if that helps. I've been going slowly and making sure it to let the tubing stick out as little as possible out of the clamp (has a recessed area so doesn't need to stick out far). I also make sure it is almost perfectly lined up before clamping.

For some reason I have a much harder time when making drops vs putting the t into the 3/16 mainline. Probably because of alignment.

The tubing is super tight, maybe it was an slightly smaller diameter build than usual.
    2019 50 aluminum buckets, selling sap. First year 19.7 gallons of syrup
    2020 130 on 3/16 tubing and 30 on aluminum buckets

Try going to your local dealer with fittings and tool and line and they probable can give you some advice I did line this year for the first time and it was a challenge but Bacon farms in Sidney Maine help me out good luck.
    Backyard sapper

Mason 2X4 XL with blower
    12x24 post and beam shack
    30 taps on 5-Gallon buckets
    134 taps on tubing into the shack
    15-30 gallons a year for family and friends

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast