+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pressure Switch for Small RO

Default Pressure Switch for Small RO

Hey all,

Just curious what is the purpose of a pressure switch an a small (4x150) RO systems for sap?
    I see they on the occasional build, but not really sure how they would help with this type of system?
    Low pressure turn off? Over-pressure shut-down?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bryan
    2019 - First Season with a Late Start. 10 taps on buckets, block arch and 2.5 gallons of syrup.

Exactly both reasons. Can shut off on low pressure and on over pressure. This can prevent unnecessay pumping (low pressure when there is no sap left) or damage to membranes or system (on high pressure - membranes need to be flushed, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
    Hey all,

Just curious what is the purpose of a pressure switch an a small (4x150) RO systems for sap?
    I see they on the occasional build, but not really sure how they would help with this type of system?
    Low pressure turn off? Over-pressure shut-down?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bryan
    low pressure shut off is nice when you want to leave the R/O unattended to do other things and it will shut down when it runs out of sap
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    350 taps on vac.

How does one implement a low pressure cut of for a small hobby RO?
    I about to suits up the system and was thinking a cutoff would be perfect for an overnight RO run the evening prior to boiling. The goal would be to turn it on at night and let it run until sap is depleted.
    Any advice?
    2019 - First Season with a Late Start. 10 taps on buckets, block arch and 2.5 gallons of syrup.

I about to suits up the system and was thinking a cutoff would be perfect for an overnight RO run the evening prior to boiling. The goal would be to turn it on at night and let it run until sap is depleted.
    Any advice?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hubbell-Ind...f/223309859315
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    350 taps on vac.

The RO Bucket guys (see ad above) sell a low pressure cut-off that they sell for about $30.; installed on the concentrate line. Wire in series with your Pump, and it shuts it off when concentrate outlet pressure drops below 5 +/- psi.
    Thanks, Bill
    2017 - 3 taps hanging buckets. Turkey fryer evap.
    2017-2018 Caught a bad case of the maple bug. Built a 55 gal. barrel evap. and homemade RO
    2018 - 32 taps on 5 gal. buckets.
    2019 - New Mason 2x4 XL. 80 taps - 50 on 5 gal. buckets, 30 on 3/16 tubing

Exactly. You can buy on Amazon for even cheaper:
    Tank Shutoff (TSO) Switch for Aquatec Booster Pumps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XVJYZQ..._N2pNDb4ZHDMDW

This is adjustable with a very small allen wrench to increase the top end pressure shut off. I have mine set around 110 psi.

Video here shows where to install: on concentrate line in front of needle valve.
    https://youtu.be/s106bSrcfno

Do you use a low pressure cutoff to turn off the pump when one runs out of sap?
    Is the high pressure cutoff to ensure the pump Donets over pressure in the event of a clog or fault?

I would like to add a switch to turn off my pump when the feed tank runs out of sap.
    Which switch would work for this application?

Thanks

Generally a high pressure condition isn’t a concern. Most booster pumps have an adjustable bypass built into the pump head. In addition, they can’t really get over 150psi anyways (when the bypass is Max’d out).

To set your maximum pressure on an aquatic or similar adjustable booster pump, get it running with a pressure gauge and needle valve. Slowly close the needle valve and set the bypass pressure (usually with an Allen wrench). Once it is set correctly you should be able to close the needle valve entirely and it should hold your target pressure (~120psi).

The low pressure switch is nice to have when running the system over night, or when you aren’t around. Even though the pumps can run dry, there is piece of mind knowing it is going to shut off if a hose blows (instead of dumping 250 gallons of sap) or you run out of sap. The shut offs need to be very sensitive and trip around 15psi. The amazon ones won’t trip until 2 or 3 psi, and it takes forever for the system pressure to bleed down that low (sometimes over an hour).

Carl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any advice?
    here is a video that should show you everything you need to know

+ Reply to Thread