+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hand guns in the bush

Hybrid View

Default Hand guns in the bush

Do any of you carry a hand gun in the bush for protection? (wild dogs rabid animals) If so what is a good one to have?
    Thanks Brian
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

I carry 24/7 unless I have to go to a school, federal building, or somewhere else that doesn’t allow it. But that’s concealed carry.

When I’m out in the woods for anything I usually have a full size sidearm. For me it’s principal. I have a lot of good honest hardworking friends that their state doesn’t allow “constitutional carry.” In originally from Maine and now am able to carry from VT right up through to Maine. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

We have very few bears around me so it's not a concern. I just offered an opinion, if carrying eases your mind then I say carry. It's a freedom I hope we have for a long time. I really never heard any stats, so you made me curious Maple Flats....here's what I found.

I found this info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

Minnesota wildlife biologist Andy Tri says a predatory attack by a black bear is "beyond extremely rare."

On average, a fatal attack by a black bear happens about once a year in all of North America, said Dave Garshelis, a bear research scientist with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Fatal attacks by the more aggressive grizzly bear, which has a narrower range than the black bear, happen about twice a year in North America, Garshelis said.

Black bears tend to be timid around people, Garshelis said. "They're very unaggressive bears," he said. "If you ever approach a black bear closely, typically they'll see you and run off."
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

And just realized there was more to the question. I’d bring what you’re comfortable working with and shooting. A full size is nice for shooting but more cumbersome to carry. A concealed carry gun is better to carry but not as comfortable to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

I don’t take a firearm into my woods unless I’m hunting. Never saw the need.
    Now a brush cutter, axe, or machete? That is another story.

I would only have a gun on me to stop a crazy human. Over the years on our farm we had at least one guy get lost in the back swamp during a heavy snowstorm. He followed our logging road to our place. That was rather scary. Another time had distant neighbors tell me they always hunted our land. Wouldn't shoot my horses. How kind. Said I had no problems shooting them. The end. Another time a guy was running his radio collared dogs. Wanted to shoot coyotes on our property. Told him to wait right there while I got my gun. He thought Iwas joking. Nope. Told him to get out before I really lost my temper. Nothing like doing chores and finding people wandering in your front yard. "Just wanted to see what was up this road". Me ,with my friend...my gun. Goodbye. NEVER had trouble with coyotes. Got some great pics though. Black bear?. Been close enough to smell them. Surprised a cub in the bush once in Wisconsin. We both screamed and ran in different directions. Had a real big black bear get it's claws caught in the screen door to our log cabin at this same location. ( grandma's islabd) We left bowls of leftover food out each night for whatever was passing by. That night it was a bear. He wrecked the door pulling his claws out. Grandma said"great,now I have to send a boat for the handyman". I have no fear of animals. Just the human variety...just some thoughts. ( I'm Ron's wife and I'm a senior. A healthy animal will fear humans or be a bit curious. Don't be so quick to want to shoot them. Remember they have the right to the habitat too.
    Last edited by highlandcattle; 10-06-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by highlandcattle View Post
    I would only have a gun on me to stop a crazy human. Over the years on our farm we had at least one guy get lost in the back swamp during a heavy snowstorm. He followed our logging road to our place. That was rather scary. Another time had distant neighbors tell me they always hunted our land. Wouldn't shoot my horses. How kind. Said I had no problems shooting them. The end. Another time a guy was running his radio collared dogs. Wanted to shoot coyotes on our property. Told him to wait right there while I got my gun. He thought Iwas joking. Nope. Told him to get out before I really lost my temper. Nothing like doing chores and finding people wandering in your front yard. "Just wanted to see what was up this road". Me ,with my friend...my gun. Goodbye. NEVER had trouble with coyotes. Got some great pics though. Black bear?. Been close enough to smell them. Surprised a cub in the bush once in Wisconsin. We both screamed and ran in different directions. Had a real big black bear get it's claws caught in the screen door to our log cabin at this same location. ( grandma's islabd) We left bowls of leftover food out each night for whatever was passing by. That night it was a bear. He wrecked the door pulling his claws out. Grandma said"great,now I have to send a boat for the handyman". I have no fear of animals. Just the human variety...just some thoughts. ( I'm Ron's wife and I'm a senior. A healthy animal will fear humans or be a bit curious. Don't be so quick to want to shoot them. Remember they have the right to the habitat too.
    Maybe a few No Trespassing or Private Property/No Hunting signs are needed to help keep the stupid two-legged critters out...but I am all for letting the bears, coyotes etc go about in peace.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

So a friend says to me the other day
    "you know how to identify bear scat?"
    "it's got little bits of air horns in it and smells like pepper spray".......................hehe Jay
    Zucker Lager

We see black bears often here, mostly young dumb ones about 2 year old's that don't know any better. But there is a large sow that always seems to have twins and likes to teach them how to find food around our house. She bluff charged me once after I surprised her and her cubs they went up a tree I was too close and she came at me I really don't know if the pistol shot into the ground in front of her stopped her or not but I would hate to have had to try to fight off a 300 pound bear by hand. I carry in our woods for just that reason. 1911 filled with hard ball...............old school I guess Jay
    Zucker Lager

*preparing to dodge bullets* I guess it depends where you live both in terms of country and how dense a bush you're getting into.

Up here in Canada, carrying guns around is basically only done by law enforcement, hunters and recreational shooters. You have to be pretty **** careful if you're a gun owner. Only time I've ever seen someone haul a handgun into the bush, they were on their own property shooting on their own little redneck range.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast