+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hand guns in the bush

i see zero reason to carry a gun in the woods working on maple where i live, but have at it! i could see if i lived in wolf territory, but even then... As far as bear attacking, i'be been charged by a momma bear when brook trout fishing a few years ago. her cubs were in between us in a tree. not a good situation to be in with a mom of any sorts! my wife and i have stood on a bear den (unknowingly) and had him come out to see what was up. out comes a 300lb black bear. he got fully out of his den before any of us could realize what was happening. stood face to face with us for about 2 seconds and took off like a bolt of lightening! that was pretty awesome! they are scared of you, as you are them, but they are also very curious creatures! to each their own! carry if you want, don't if you want. i don't think anyone needs to get offended by it!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

While I rarely carry in my bush, except when deer hunting, for those who don't carry, just remember, if you do encounter a bear, do not run (or in my case, try to run). You should stand tall and make loud noises, it will likely run the other way.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Haven't you all heard of pepper spray???

Quote Originally Posted by Stanbridge View Post
    Haven't you all heard of pepper spray???
    My thoughts exactly. But I guess people just want to feel really secure.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

It's a good option except when the wind blows back into YOUR face.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post
    It's a good option except when the wind blows back into YOUR face.
    Yeah lol that happened to me once when I sprayed at a dog that was chasing me when I was on my bike (as in the kind you actually have to use your legs to get moving, not a motorcycle).....got some blowback but you know what? I recovered pretty quick and am still alive.

Meanwhile, rotsa ruck surviving an accidental discharge, from say a simple misstep or tripping over a root or a rock, where you lose (depending on your carry pref) half of yer butt/genitals/femoral artery/ankle....and so long as you don't encounter another handgun-toting human with a happy trigger finger who shoots first and asks questions later....Yah you'll be fine ;-)
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup

and so long as you don't encounter another handgun-toting human with a happy trigger finger who shoots first and asks questions later....Yah you'll be fine ;-)

For those who think that things like this don't happen.....well I can personally tell you they do! In 2009, while hunting myself, I took a broadhead through the left thigh from another hunter in an accidental shooting. Yup my sugaring, hunting and most of all my life almost came to an end that October day. So please be careful whatever you do. It's a horrible experience for all.
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 10-10-2019 at 07:07 AM.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    For those who think that things like this don't happen.....well I can personally tell you they do! In 2009, while hunting myself, I took a broadhead through the left thigh from another hunter in an accidental shooting. Yup my sugaring, hunting and most of all my life almost came to an end that October day. So please be careful whatever you do. It's a horrible experience for all.
    Jeez that's pretty scary. And you were probably had some blaze orange on too, eh?

Another option I thought of that I think would do an awesome job (though it might deafen you a little) would be an airhorn. Legal everywhere, don't need a license, relatively safe top use, and
    loud af.
    Been tapping since 2008.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

We see deer, bear, moose and other critters in the woods on UVM property pretty regularly (we abut a state forest with a lot of forestland). Often they're walking down our driveway. When they spot us -- they usually head in the opposite direction quickly. Grew up with bears all around my parents house (lots of apples and chokecherry bushes in the fields). Seen plenty of them in the woods. They always go away fairly briskly and I've never felt the need to carry. I suppose if you happened to get between a sow and cubs you might have a different experience. Nephew shot a 404 lb bear a few years ago -- it has taken up residence at the edge of a corn field and was full of corn when they gutted it out. The meat is OK if cooked properly. Historically it was a fairly common staple of Native Americans in the northeast, especially in the winter when they were denned up.

What often startles me in the woods is turkey. They weren't common when I grew up, so having a bird that size suddenly pop its head up in the woods always catches me by surprise. About the only time we have need for a firearm in the woods is for porcupines, but they move around slowly enough so it is not a problem to go back to the building and get a gun to dispatch them.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

What often startles me in the woods is turkey.
    If this ever becomes a problem or threat to your health, I'd make the sacrifice and come dispatch the offenders for you
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast