+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hand guns in the bush

Around here there has been a lot of deer kill.They say there are no mt. lions around here but the cat tracks are very large. The dog are calling all night. I just wanted to know what you all was doing.
    Thanks Brian
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

We have very few bears around me so it's not a concern. I just offered an opinion, if carrying eases your mind then I say carry. It's a freedom I hope we have for a long time. I really never heard any stats, so you made me curious Maple Flats....here's what I found.

I found this info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

Minnesota wildlife biologist Andy Tri says a predatory attack by a black bear is "beyond extremely rare."

On average, a fatal attack by a black bear happens about once a year in all of North America, said Dave Garshelis, a bear research scientist with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Fatal attacks by the more aggressive grizzly bear, which has a narrower range than the black bear, happen about twice a year in North America, Garshelis said.

Black bears tend to be timid around people, Garshelis said. "They're very unaggressive bears," he said. "If you ever approach a black bear closely, typically they'll see you and run off."
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I would only have a gun on me to stop a crazy human. Over the years on our farm we had at least one guy get lost in the back swamp during a heavy snowstorm. He followed our logging road to our place. That was rather scary. Another time had distant neighbors tell me they always hunted our land. Wouldn't shoot my horses. How kind. Said I had no problems shooting them. The end. Another time a guy was running his radio collared dogs. Wanted to shoot coyotes on our property. Told him to wait right there while I got my gun. He thought Iwas joking. Nope. Told him to get out before I really lost my temper. Nothing like doing chores and finding people wandering in your front yard. "Just wanted to see what was up this road". Me ,with my friend...my gun. Goodbye. NEVER had trouble with coyotes. Got some great pics though. Black bear?. Been close enough to smell them. Surprised a cub in the bush once in Wisconsin. We both screamed and ran in different directions. Had a real big black bear get it's claws caught in the screen door to our log cabin at this same location. ( grandma's islabd) We left bowls of leftover food out each night for whatever was passing by. That night it was a bear. He wrecked the door pulling his claws out. Grandma said"great,now I have to send a boat for the handyman". I have no fear of animals. Just the human variety...just some thoughts. ( I'm Ron's wife and I'm a senior. A healthy animal will fear humans or be a bit curious. Don't be so quick to want to shoot them. Remember they have the right to the habitat too.
    Last edited by highlandcattle; 10-06-2019 at 05:20 PM.

We see black bears often here, mostly young dumb ones about 2 year old's that don't know any better. But there is a large sow that always seems to have twins and likes to teach them how to find food around our house. She bluff charged me once after I surprised her and her cubs they went up a tree I was too close and she came at me I really don't know if the pistol shot into the ground in front of her stopped her or not but I would hate to have had to try to fight off a 300 pound bear by hand. I carry in our woods for just that reason. 1911 filled with hard ball...............old school I guess Jay
    Zucker Lager

Quote Originally Posted by highlandcattle View Post
    I would only have a gun on me to stop a crazy human. Over the years on our farm we had at least one guy get lost in the back swamp during a heavy snowstorm. He followed our logging road to our place. That was rather scary. Another time had distant neighbors tell me they always hunted our land. Wouldn't shoot my horses. How kind. Said I had no problems shooting them. The end. Another time a guy was running his radio collared dogs. Wanted to shoot coyotes on our property. Told him to wait right there while I got my gun. He thought Iwas joking. Nope. Told him to get out before I really lost my temper. Nothing like doing chores and finding people wandering in your front yard. "Just wanted to see what was up this road". Me ,with my friend...my gun. Goodbye. NEVER had trouble with coyotes. Got some great pics though. Black bear?. Been close enough to smell them. Surprised a cub in the bush once in Wisconsin. We both screamed and ran in different directions. Had a real big black bear get it's claws caught in the screen door to our log cabin at this same location. ( grandma's islabd) We left bowls of leftover food out each night for whatever was passing by. That night it was a bear. He wrecked the door pulling his claws out. Grandma said"great,now I have to send a boat for the handyman". I have no fear of animals. Just the human variety...just some thoughts. ( I'm Ron's wife and I'm a senior. A healthy animal will fear humans or be a bit curious. Don't be so quick to want to shoot them. Remember they have the right to the habitat too.
    Maybe a few No Trespassing or Private Property/No Hunting signs are needed to help keep the stupid two-legged critters out...but I am all for letting the bears, coyotes etc go about in peace.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

I have a fair amount of experience carrying firearms. I think you have two directions as far as handguns go...smaller concealable or mid-sized great for open carry (can be concealed with the right holster) and range time. Next look at actions which may be suitable for your type of carry and that are likely going to be revolver or semiautomatic. If a revolver I would would recommend a 357 mag (or 44 mag if you think you need something with more energy). If you go semiautomatic I would look at 9mm. In todays world of ammunition you need to do your job first (putting the rounds where they count), it is important. Read up on bear attacks and you'll see the 9mm has quite a reputation...likely falls back to the gun you carry...plus it is inexpensive to practice with, and with todays ammunition quality a formidable round.

As far as the first prong..a gun you have with you will be a gun you'll use. This goes for in the woods or on the pavement. I like to say both sizes (small and mid-sized) would be appropriate to own and choose which fits your day. The mid size can be carried with ease and sometimes concealed decently. There are the Sig, M&P, Glock, FN, etc with a 3.5-4" barrel. They are fun at the range and easy to carry. The full sized guns are fun at the range, better sight picture, but are not as concealable. The smaller guns are now easily found in 9mm and the are made by the same company. Check out Sig P365, Glock 43, M&P Shield, and new Springfield Armory Hellcat.

Stop by a few dealers to get a chance to hold different models. Find their respective groups on facebook and follow them for a bit. Check out holsters which suit your style of carry or activity...you'll end up with a small selection in now time at all.

I use a Sig P320 Carry on duty for my job, a Sig P365 backup and off duty. I also have a compact frame for the P320 (it is modular system) if I wanted a shorter gun for training classes. I have carried a S&W M&P340 snub nose in 357 mag. I have carried other Sigs, Glocks, and a few 1911s (my favorite for my fit).

The final rule is a handgun is not the best choice for defense, it is a reasonable option because it is easy to carry...your mind is the best followed by a rifle and then a handgun. Find a name brand and practice.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

Mines like American Express.....don't leave home without it.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Read this. Admittedly rare but attacks happen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._America#2000s
    Those are just the fatalities, several more are mauled and some are crippled for life.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I really have nothing more to add and was only trying to make conversation and share another perspective during a slow time. I concede there is some danger from animals or even people in the woods. As for me I'll take my chances in the woods. It's far safer in the sugar bush than on the highway. 300 million people in the Us and a hand full killed or mauled by wild animals are pretty good odds. By all means carry if you feel the need and it gives you peace. I had no intentions to argue or say anyone was wrong.....just making conversation. Sorry Maple flats I was never calling you out on your stats, I guess I typed without thinking. I believe you.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Of the thousands and thousands of hours I've spent working and hunting in our woods the only bears I've seen at under 30 yards were when I was in full camo hunting ducks and turkey. Both times the bear took off very quickly when it knew I was there. I've never seen a bear or coyote when actively working on tubing or with the chainsaw - they hear me and stay clear.

I will throw the shotgun in the truck at this time of year in case I see a bush chicken and if working during deer season the rifle will be in the truck just in case I can fill a tag. I have no concerns about 2-legged critters on our property.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast