+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stainless keg bulk storage

Default Stainless keg bulk storage

I would like to try bulk storing some syrup over the course of next summer. I purchased 4 clean sanke style s.s. beer kegs. 15.5 gallon. I see a few threads about people using kegs. I plan on hot packing them and using a 2" triclamp,stainless cap, and the special silicone gasket that is flat on the one side that seals to the keg fitting. The gasket is available from brewing websites. Being a small producer 15 gallons is alot to me. I'm a little worried the kegs would lose seal at some point and I wouldn't know it. Once I put them in my cellar I thought maybe taking the triclamp off and if it lost seal at some point at least then i'd know. Bad idea? How do those using any kind of barrel actually know its still sealed under vacuum? My wife cans food and takes the rings off the mason jars during storage which is where I got the idea to remove the clamp.

I use the same setup, i have always left everything intact and the barrels have always been sealed. I fill them at 200 degrees
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    350 taps on vac.

Leave the clamp on. The only thing to watch closely is the gasket in subsequent years. They will usually last 8-10 years, but buy some spares just in case. If you can feel the slightest nick on the seal, toss it and use a new one. I bought my spares thru Brewer's Hardware. In 2" they have both the silicone flat face and the standard with a raised portion in the center of the sealing surface. The only ones I've ever used have the raised portion. Never had a seal failure. I fill mine at 185-190F.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, doing fewer each year, about 450 planned for 2020 (and after?)
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    added a gooseneck equipment trailer and F350 to tow it to haul more sap
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

I am looking at purchasing kegs for storage as well. I thought I saw a thread mentioning kegs which were specific to maple syrup storage, ie. self draining does any one have contact for that type of keg. Are you buying your kegs new?

Thanks
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lean to off the barn for sugaring
    Lapierre 2x8 Classic
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Wes Fab 7" short bank press
    I own Stihl's
    Chocolate lab

CDL carries them, however they may not be any different than the ones from a beer keg, as long as you get the tri-clover clamp version. The only difference might just be CDL's mark-up.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, doing fewer each year, about 450 planned for 2020 (and after?)
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    added a gooseneck equipment trailer and F350 to tow it to haul more sap
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

I also heard of the maple specific keg style barrel. I dont see whats to gain other than I assume they are overpriced. I bought 4 used beer kegs from a guy that couldn't return them simply because he lost the return slip. I gave him $160 for 4 kegs/62 gallons worth of stainless storage. My first thought of using a beer keg was,"oh that would be nasty". But after vinegar soaking these and many rinses they are as good as new. I'm very happy with how well they cleaned out and I'm very picky about that.

+ Reply to Thread