+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: October Journal

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Oneida NY
    Posts
    9,778

    Default October Journal

    Well, October is here already. Time to get more fall work done. Finish splitting a little more wood (logs have been stacked for 2+ years, off the ground). Then do some walking the lines to begin repairs before the ground is covered with deep snow. One task we have this year is to remove some of the deer. The 2019 season was the first time we had lots of deer chews on the tubing, all on the laterals. Archery season started today, my BIL is hunting behind the sugarhouse now, I hope he gets one, buck or doe, doesn't matter too much, they both eat tubing. However if he has a choice a doe would be better, they can be 3 or 4 deer next year, a buck will still be only 1.
    I need to pack more syrup, I'm low on all grades and sizes. Not out yet, but low. When I need to pack more than one grade, I always start with the lightest, then do the next darker and so forth. Will need to haul clean water down, drain the permeate tank, wash it, then pump 100-150 gal of fresh water into the tank. Then use that for cleaning equipment. Before we get freezing weather I then drain any remaining water , otherwise I end up with a block of ice in the tank.
    I don't fall tap, who does?
    Another thing, I like to take inventory of my tapping supplies and get what I need now rather than when I'm in the woods tapping. I have plenty of tubing rolls but likely need fittings.
    Last edited by maple flats; 10-01-2019 at 07:08 AM.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, doing fewer each year, about 450 planned for 2020 (and after?)
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    added a gooseneck equipment trailer and F350 to tow it to haul more sap
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/
    website: www.cnymaple.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake County Ohio
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    I'm now starting to get into "syrup mode".

    Plans include improving the transfer of sap from the new hi vac woods area up to sugar house with sap lifters, or whatever it takes.
    A new cement pad is to be installed alongside the sugar house to get sap tank - and me - out of the mud. Will be putting a roof over the pad for added wood storage.

    Also looking at tubing the original stand I had used bags on at the north end of our property (180 to 200+ taps there) and bringing that over to the sugar house. This will require some creative thinking to clear two drives and/or run down through a back ravine and then on up a 20' rise to shack. If I get this all in, will also be looking at a larger RO and revising the way I had it all plumbed in...

    At 66, I'm still going in to work everyday but hope to start turning things over to our son next year. After 50 years of working every day I want to play with my toys again!
    Man it's good to see activity pick up on Trader again...
    John Allin

    14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    H20 Innovations Air Injection 2019
    CDL AirTech Pump Hi Vacuum 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Canadian - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Loudon NH
    Posts
    5,395

    Default

    I sold a lot of syrup last weekend at the Deerfield Fair. That means that I've got some canning to do to restock the shelves. I'm going to have surgery to repair a hernia next Tuesday and am going to be out of work for 5 or six weeks. I'll finish getting my wood in with the help of my son in law when the Dr says that I can start lifting again.
    Russ

    "Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple producing world!

    Algier 2x6 evaporator, W F Mason arch
    Lapierre 250 Turbo RO machine
    SP-22 vacuum pump
    1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    1971 IH 454 52hp diesel tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    About a dozen chainsaws and no chickens

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake County Ohio
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    Russ, good luck with the hernia surgery. I know what help from son-in-laws and a son can be like. Without them I’d have a lot less wood put up each year. Nah, make that next to no wood!

    Sure hope the hernia surgery is successful and it sounds a lot less serious than the high PSA you’re dealing with.
    For what it’s worth..have an older brother, still in Canada, dealing with that for 4 years now. His doctors are monitoring instead of cutting. All the best to you and get rested up for a bang-up season.
    Last edited by johnallin; 10-01-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
    John Allin

    14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    H20 Innovations Air Injection 2019
    CDL AirTech Pump Hi Vacuum 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Canadian - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Loudon NH
    Posts
    5,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Russ, good luck with the hernia surgery. I know what help from son-in-laws and a son can be like. Without them I’d have a lot less wood put up each year. Nah, make that next to no wood!

    Sure hope the hernia surgery is successful and it sounds a lot less serious than the high PSA you’re dealing with.
    For what it’s worth..have an older brother, still in Canada, dealing with that for 4 years now. His doctors are monitoring instead of cutting. All the best to you and get rested up for a bang-up season.
    Thank you for the well wishes. I'm sure that the hernia surgery is going to go well. I'm hoping that the recovery isn't as painful as the prostate surgery recovery was.

    I've had my prostate removed and then had radiation and now a recurrence. I'm hoping that your brother has better luck when he does have to have his removed. When I had my surgery my urologist told me that I had a 70% chance of a recurrence in 10 years. I hope that your brother is in the 30% that won't.
    Russ

    "Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple producing world!

    Algier 2x6 evaporator, W F Mason arch
    Lapierre 250 Turbo RO machine
    SP-22 vacuum pump
    1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    1971 IH 454 52hp diesel tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    About a dozen chainsaws and no chickens

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts