+ Reply to Thread

Thread: October Journal

Default October Journal

Well, October is here already. Time to get more fall work done. Finish splitting a little more wood (logs have been stacked for 2+ years, off the ground). Then do some walking the lines to begin repairs before the ground is covered with deep snow. One task we have this year is to remove some of the deer. The 2019 season was the first time we had lots of deer chews on the tubing, all on the laterals. Archery season started today, my BIL is hunting behind the sugarhouse now, I hope he gets one, buck or doe, doesn't matter too much, they both eat tubing. However if he has a choice a doe would be better, they can be 3 or 4 deer next year, a buck will still be only 1.
    I need to pack more syrup, I'm low on all grades and sizes. Not out yet, but low. When I need to pack more than one grade, I always start with the lightest, then do the next darker and so forth. Will need to haul clean water down, drain the permeate tank, wash it, then pump 100-150 gal of fresh water into the tank. Then use that for cleaning equipment. Before we get freezing weather I then drain any remaining water , otherwise I end up with a block of ice in the tank.
    I don't fall tap, who does?
    Another thing, I like to take inventory of my tapping supplies and get what I need now rather than when I'm in the woods tapping. I have plenty of tubing rolls but likely need fittings.
    Last edited by maple flats; 10-01-2019 at 07:08 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'm now starting to get into "syrup mode".

Plans include improving the transfer of sap from the new hi vac woods area up to sugar house with sap lifters, or whatever it takes.
    A new cement pad is to be installed alongside the sugar house to get sap tank - and me - out of the mud. Will be putting a roof over the pad for added wood storage.

Also looking at tubing the original stand I had used bags on at the north end of our property (180 to 200+ taps there) and bringing that over to the sugar house. This will require some creative thinking to clear two drives and/or run down through a back ravine and then on up a 20' rise to shack. If I get this all in, will also be looking at a larger RO and revising the way I had it all plumbed in...

At 66, I'm still going in to work everyday but hope to start turning things over to our son next year. After 50 years of working every day I want to play with my toys again!
    Man it's good to see activity pick up on Trader again...
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I sold a lot of syrup last weekend at the Deerfield Fair. That means that I've got some canning to do to restock the shelves. I'm going to have surgery to repair a hernia next Tuesday and am going to be out of work for 5 or six weeks. I'll finish getting my wood in with the help of my son in law when the Dr says that I can start lifting again.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Russ, good luck with the hernia surgery. I know what help from son-in-laws and a son can be like. Without them I’d have a lot less wood put up each year. Nah, make that next to no wood!

Sure hope the hernia surgery is successful and it sounds a lot less serious than the high PSA you’re dealing with.
    For what it’s worth..have an older brother, still in Canada, dealing with that for 4 years now. His doctors are monitoring instead of cutting. All the best to you and get rested up for a bang-up season.
    Last edited by johnallin; 10-01-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Russ, good luck with the hernia surgery. I know what help from son-in-laws and a son can be like. Without them I’d have a lot less wood put up each year. Nah, make that next to no wood!

Sure hope the hernia surgery is successful and it sounds a lot less serious than the high PSA you’re dealing with.
    For what it’s worth..have an older brother, still in Canada, dealing with that for 4 years now. His doctors are monitoring instead of cutting. All the best to you and get rested up for a bang-up season.
    Thank you for the well wishes. I'm sure that the hernia surgery is going to go well. I'm hoping that the recovery isn't as painful as the prostate surgery recovery was.

I've had my prostate removed and then had radiation and now a recurrence. I'm hoping that your brother has better luck when he does have to have his removed. When I had my surgery my urologist told me that I had a 70% chance of a recurrence in 10 years. I hope that your brother is in the 30% that won't.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread