+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing man’s best friend

Default Losing man’s best friend

Last week my faithful old black lab came down to the house early in the morning,laid up against the front door and passed. I was kind of wondering if he would make the winter,but hadn’t expected it quite so soon. It’s a blessing he went quickly and didn’t suffer,but still kind of a shock, and it’s the little things every day that remind me of him,and make me miss him. He would greet me at the door first thing when I went outside to check the cattle,then follow me up to the barn,though no longer able to make the trek to the field,then follow me back to the house for his breakfast. He would greet me again when I drove back in from the school bus,and stay by my side for whatever I’m doing during the day. He loved to go for rides in the side by side,investigating trails and scents while we were working in the bush. He was our best driveway alarm,alerting us to someone pulling in the yard,then leading them to the house to purchase syrup,all the time with his tail proudly wagging. Mostly of all though he was a constant companion to greet you and follow you around faithfully,no matter the weather or how your day was going.R.I.P COLE
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

My condolences Bruce.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

It's always sad when a faithful friend passes. Are you planning to get another?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

dang it now you made me cry. I told my family the two labs we have now are the last dogs, I can't stand to bury anymore. Every time one dies a piece of me dies.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Offering my condolences Bruce.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Sorry for your loss Bruce. When our 2 labs passed 3 and 4 years ago, both at the age of 10 I took it harder than my wife or daughter and it wasn’t even close. Time will help you realize how lucky you were to have such a good friend.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    It's always sad when a faithful friend passes. Are you planning to get another?
    No Dave,not planning on anymore,this was my most loyal dog ever,took it kind of nonchalantly? when he passed but missing him ever since. Young enough to have more,but it takes the stuffing right out of you to lose such a loyal companion
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Sorry to hear of your loss Bruce. Knowing from past experience it's hard to lose such a devoted companion. Labs are the best and I think it's going to be more difficult than ever when my two cross the rainbow bridge.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Sorry to hear of your loss, I lost one of my two labs right in the middle of the last sugar season and it still hurts.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

Sorry for your loss Bruce! i have a 10 year old short hair i can't fathom, even the thought of loosing.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast