+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WX10 / WX15 Pump

Default WX10 / WX15 Pump

Like many, I’ve used a WX15 for a few years to transfer sap from my truck tank but, as noted in the manual, these pumps are not for potable water so I think to fair to say they are not food grade. I would like to open this up for discussion. Perhaps Dr. Tim could chime in as I thought I remember reading that they used these transfer pumps.

Carl
    2x6 Phaneuf, Lapierre 125 Turbo

When I bought my WX10 almost 20 years ago we didn't worry as much about things being made of food grade material. The amount of leaching that happens when you're pumping sap is probably in the parts per billion range if there's any. I'm going to continue using mine.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Generally materials for sap/syrup should be "water potable" or "food-grade" and suitable for the intended purpose. Gasoline-powered water-potable pumps are available, but pricey. How stringently this is regulated seems to vary depending upon your location.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 09-19-2019 at 08:21 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Generally materials for sap/syrup should be "water potable" or "food-grade" and suitable for the intended purpose. Gasoline-powered water-potable pumps are available, but pricey. How stringently this is regulated seems to vary depending upon your location.
    This is why I have made it a priority to Have my woods tank high enough compared to my loading position so that I can just use Gravity to transfer my sap, no pumps to lug,drain,and or worry about contamination. I have a potable water pump at the sugarhouse.

This is not a solution for everyone obviously but whenever possible that's what I do. My Greatgrandfathers sugarhouse was setup in a manner so they never had to pump a thing. Try to learn from the old 'wise' people.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    My Greatgrandfathers sugarhouse was setup in a manner so they never had to pump a thing.
    Clearly the best way if possible.

Try to learn from the old 'wise' people.
    I hope to get to that point some day, both old and wise. Definitely working on the first...the second I'm not so sure about.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 09-19-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    This is why I have made it a priority to Have my woods tank high enough compared to my loading position so that I can just use Gravity to transfer my sap, no pumps to lug,drain,and or worry about contamination. I have a potable water pump at the sugarhouse.. .

I used a WX10 to transfer sap for 6 years but stopped last year. The aluminum impeller had corroded to the point that I couldn't clean it properly. It became encrusted with aluminum oxide which had a salty taste.

To remedy - with Fred's help - I installed a high vacuum system to bring all sap to the sugar house tank and then a Potable Water rated all-stainless Gould pump to move on up to head tank...
    Still working on improving lifting sap the 15-20 rise with vacuum and want to look into installing sap lifter(s) this year.

Although it's a fine piece of machinery; I don't miss the gas powered Honda pump at all.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

While I agree with having everything as food grade as possible, I think we also need to open our eyes to the bigger picture. Water pumps in homes that have shallow wells are almost all made of cast iron. I know all Goulds shallow well pumps are and we drink that water on a daily basis. For those who have town/city water, most all of that pipe is Ductile iron. Heck in the next town over from here, the water main is so old that it still has lead poured joints!

My point is that while we can be careful with what we are producing, the amount of contamination from an aluminum pump is minuscule. Especially if you were pumping raw sap and going to boil the hell out of it and bring it well over sterilization temp before it is syrup..

Just my 2 cents..

Quote Originally Posted by Willstrtr View Post
    My point is that while we can be careful with what we are producing, the amount of contamination from an aluminum pump is minuscule. Especially if you were pumping raw sap and going to boil the hell out of it and bring it well over sterilization temp before it is syrup....
    Boiling the hell out of your sap only concentrates the contaminate. In the case of metals - sterilizing means nothing, occasional fly or moth - not so bad.
    Last edited by johnallin; 09-20-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Are pumps with aluminum impellers or housings not recommended for sap because of possible off flavors? Has anyone else experienced an off taste because of their pump?
    I have used a 1" aluminum housing pump for years with no flavor issues. Heck, there must be tens of thousands of aluminum pumps out there being used for sap transfer.
    But if it's going to cause a problem, switching pumps might have to happen.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

To me it's not what the pump is made of, cast iron, aluminum, stainless steel whatever is fine, it's how the pump is lubricated that would worry me, if I pump out my now 1600 gallon woods tank only to discover that I had a bearing Failure and I now have a oily sap tank and sap I am out what 3 or 4 thousand of potential gross income to save 4 or 500.00$ dollars on a pump. The Risk Reward is just not worth it to me.

Growing up we had a 2 stroke aluminum Transfer pump but my Grandfather also used and English Tin pan set too.

I also think that everything that you do in your particular process of making Syrup has an effect on Flavor so the more that you can do to limit the transfer of finite minerals, metals, plastics, cleaning chemicals, than the more your natural flavor can develop and come out of your syrup.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast