+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When can I install new drops and taps?

Default When can I install new drops and taps?

How late in the year do you need to wait until starting to install new drops and taps? I usually wait until the snow is so deep that I wished that I would of started earlier. Wondering if you have to wait until everything is froze.

If you're just installing new drops and taps and not drilling/tapping your trees; you can put them in any time. Most T fittings have a cup to hold the tap.

I personally don't like working in the woods until it cools off, just too **** muggy in the summer. September is when it begins to get nice around here.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

We install tubing including drops whenever we can. I like the 3 stage T that the tubing fits over when you cut off the spout or if you put the drop on without the spout. I have heard of people waiting until its colder to put spouts on with the idea there is less chance of bacteria forming. We typically cut spouts off and put new ones on right before tapping. This year we cut spouts off when we pulled them except the drops with T cups, which we no longer install.
    Jared

+ Reply to Thread