+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: September Journal

Default September Journal

The cooler weather has started making it easier to get work done outside. Unlike 2 years and more ago, I still have more wood to buck and split, however most of what I'll be burning is basswood. Basswood splits easily and dries very quickly. Even what little I have to do yet will be good to burn for the 2020 season. The logs have been cut for 3 years and stacked off the ground, but still hold quite a bit of moisture. I split everything to wrist size and stack it under the 3' overhang on the sugarhouse where it dries well.
    This coming season I'll be cutting back on taps. My one remaining lease was up for sale, but now the landowner, who will be retiring in Dec 2020 says he wants to do it himself. He doesn't know yet if he wants to just sell the sap or if he will boil it too. I told him I would process on shares or maybe even buy the sap outright. I can process more, it's just a little too much for me to get all the pre-season repairs done and then keep up with any leaks. Much of his ground is 45-55% slope and my old legs get tired too fast.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I brought my wood splitter up to the house yesterday and got it tinkered up and ready to split wood. I replaced the starter solenoid so that it will start with the key. I noticed a lot of grass in the cooling fins so I took off the blower housing and cleaned it out. Some of the cooling fins were plugged with mud from mud wasps and there was a mouse nest in there too. I had to tape up the wire to the coil where the mice chewed the insulation off. It's ready to go now. I'll be filling the wood shed soon.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Bought my first canner in August and have been canning since. I've had a few markets open up to me in central US which I'm exploring. might have to add taps if it works out.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3900? taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.

Spent yesterday afternoon and this morning working on splitting wood. Behind this year do to a busy summer.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Working on filling sugar house with small rounds,arm size and down that we would trip over in the bush,doesn’t add up real fast but makes a great fire and cleans bush at same time
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    Working on filling sugar house with small rounds,arm size and down that we would trip over in the bush,doesn’t add up real fast but makes a great fire and cleans bush at same time
    Bruce! Been trying to get ahold of you via email. Please check for a message from me - susanlandrews2@hotmail.com - not a PM from here. Thanks!
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

I am so glad that I got all my wood - both for Shack Whacky and my house's woodstove - done early this year. Been a little too exciting for my tastes in my neck o' the woods.

On the plus side, a couple of my batches have been doing well at fairs...a joint 2nd place at Spencerville, and a 1st in Light at Richmond and a 2nd in Amber also at Richmond. So far I estimate that I've won about $45 so that helps cover entry fees lol :-)

Just hotpacked my entries for Carp, they are all set to get out there and kick ***! Metcalfe after that, then that's my season - unless I can find another Zone 1 or 2 Fair to enter in time. Wanted to enter the Royal (would have shipped bottles down) but sadly the closing date for entries was this past Monday. Dangit!
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup

I jugged up some syrup to sell at the Deerfield Fair this morning. I'll box that up tomorrow to bring to the fair Wednesday. I also picked up my new filter press today. I'll be able to get more than 5 gallons through this baby.

I found out 3 months ago that my PSA was up and then confirmed that it was still going up last month. Some rouge prostate cancer cells are starting to grow. I go in for a PET scan tomorrow and find out the results Tuesday. I'm hoping that the scan shows something and that it can be removed. If not there are other treatment options but surgery if it's possible would be the best one. On the bright side I've decided to retire early. Target date March 1st.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    ...I found out 3 months ago that my PSA was up and then confirmed that it was still going up last month. Some rouge prostate cancer cells are starting to grow. I go in for a PET scan tomorrow and find out the results Tuesday. I'm hoping that the scan shows something and that it can be removed. If not there are other treatment options but surgery if it's possible would be the best one. On the bright side I've decided to retire early. Target date March 1st.
    Oh jeez...hope all goes well for you. Please keep us informed.
    Been tapping since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    I jugged up some syrup to sell at the Deerfield Fair this morning. I'll box that up tomorrow to bring to the fair Wednesday. I also picked up my new filter press today. I'll be able to get more than 5 gallons through this baby.

I found out 3 months ago that my PSA was up and then confirmed that it was still going up last month. Some rouge prostate cancer cells are starting to grow. I go in for a PET scan tomorrow and find out the results Tuesday. I'm hoping that the scan shows something and that it can be removed. If not there are other treatment options but surgery if it's possible would be the best one. On the bright side I've decided to retire early. Target date March 1st.
    Sorry to hear that Russ. I hope everything turns out well. Congratulations on your retirement plans.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast