+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What treatment for outside of sugar shack?

Default What treatment for outside of sugar shack?

I'm currently in the process of building my new sugar shack! (Photos to follow) 3 years outside was enough for me. My father has a band saw Mill and we cut all the lumber from the property. It's all white pine. I was wondering if I should put some kind of sealer or water treatment on the outside? If so does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks Jake
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

I use TWP on all my out door builds. I cut mostly balsom , hemlock , spruce , and pine . Have had very good results.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

My first coating was Flood CWF and I just re did it with Flood CWF UV5, which is supposed to last longer. Pretty pleased with the looks. Kinda wish the first application lasted longer but I probably should have hit it with two coats being virgin wood.

The two water proofers mentioned are both good. The best part is you can put them both on with a pump up garden sprayer. I also used Sherwin Williams super deck, but it's pricey and is opaque colors
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I like to use Behr solid color stain.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

It all depends if you want maintenance or not and in some cases what wood you used. As others have said, routine application of such products is necessary or its wasted money. My feeling is barns have withstood weather for years and years without weatherproofing. If your siding is off the ground and breathes on both sides of the wall then it will last as is for many moons!! I have hemlock board and batten siding with some pine and other than the natural 'greying' color, there is no rot or flaking 15 years later. 75% of my siding wood was stacked and stickered for 9 months but when I ran out I nailed green wood to finish again , no difference seen.

Good Luck
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

I just put the Flood CWF UV-5 on my hemlock board and batten sugar shack...very happy with the results. I used a sprayer and recoated within 15 minutes per the instructions, and it went on even, and looks great. No idea what to expect for longevity, but of all the transparent/semi-transparent stains I've used over the years, this one is probably my favorite.

-craig

Here pics of my UV5 going down on my highly faded south wall that had one coat of regular Flood CWF a few years ago. The other walls were not that bad. I sprayed on and backbrushed in. 6 gallons did one coat this time. Think I used 8-9 gallons a couple years back on unfinished wood. 16x24, 10 ft walls.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mudr View Post
    Here pics of my UV5 going down on my highly faded south wall that had one coat of regular Flood CWF a few years ago. The other walls were not that bad. I sprayed on and backbrushed in. 6 gallons did one coat this time. Think I used 8-9 gallons a couple years back on unfinished wood. 16x24, 10 ft walls.

I really like the way that looks. So you just spray it on with a garden pump sprayer and then brush it in? Sounds pretty easy. Maybe I'll give that stuff a try.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Well I had a wagner sprayer handy so I used that. I can't comment on a pump sprayer, I assume it will work.

Back brushing did help though. When first sprayed, the finish seemed to sit on top of the surface. The brush really worked it in.

+ Reply to Thread