+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ratio size of front pan vs. back pan?

Default Ratio size of front pan vs. back pan?

I know it's the "off" season and few are on here this time of year but was curious. I use my evaporator for sweet corn and I just cleaned it up and found a decent size hole in the flue. It's a 3x8 with the flue pan being 3x4. Is that the best arrangement? I'm considering new pans and thought maybe a smaller syrup pan may be better for evaporation. 2x3 to small? Go 3x3?
    Last edited by cjf12; 08-25-2019 at 12:09 PM.

I believe most 3x8 evaporators have 3' front pans and 5' flue pans. That would be the configuration that I would want if I had a 3x8 evaporator. A bigger flue pan will give you a higher evaporation rate and there is a point where the syrup pan can be too small.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

A few years ago I saw a 2x6 with a 50-50 split on the pan size- 3ft syrup and 3ft flue. It was set up that way for boiling concentrate since the R.O. was now removing most of the water. I only mention this in case there are plans for an R.O. in the future. Just food for thought.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket Head View Post
    A few years ago I saw a 2x6 with a 50-50 split on the pan size- 3ft syrup and 3ft flue. It was set up that way for boiling concentrate since the R.O. was now removing most of the water. I only mention this in case there are plans for an R.O. in the future. Just food for thought.

Steve
    The old Leader and King 2x6's were set up that way. The evaporation rate sucked because of the small flue pan.

My 2x6 has a 2' syrup pan and 4' raised flue, flue pan. I have been using an RO since 2005. I have an AOF/AUF arch and a bubbler too. I can control the color of my syrup by adjusting the concentration percentage. When I'm concentrating into the lower 20's I'm drawing off 12 gallons of syrup per hour.

I know of a 2x5 evaporator with a 4' flue pan and 1' syrup pan. That guy can only make dark syrup because of the configuration. The syrup pan is too small and the sugars caramelize too much in time it takes to go from flue pan density to syrup density. He tried a bubbler and it didn't help.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Generally, as the concentration level goes up, the proportion of flat pan increases. For those boiling sap, a high amount of flue pan is needed (although as stated, you can have a syrup pan that is too small). For high concentrate, the flue pan size is decreased. At very high concentration levels (35 Brix +), there may be no flue pan at all, although manufacturers of high concentration RO and associated evaporators are backing off of that a bit and adding in more flue pan. More typical now for a moderate-high level of RO is a 50:50 (flue pan: syrup pan) evaporator, while sap and low RO evaporators may be 66:33 or 75:25 (flue pan: syrup pan). Our Lapierre HyperBrix RO (35 Brix) and Volcano 2000 evaporator is a 4' x 12' with a 33:66 (flue: syrup) ratio. I think our last evaporator (Leader) was a 3' x 10' with a 6' flue pan (60:40).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Dr Tim.

What pan ratio would you recommend when boiling sap in the 15%-18% range?

Thanks!
    2016: 4 Buckets, 1 Gallon of syrup
    2017: 70 on 3/16 Gravity, 180 on buckets, New Sugar Shack and Sunrise Metal 2x8 Maxiflame
    2022: Boiling for 1200 taps, new Volcano 2000 coming next summer

Great Lakes Maple

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Joel M View Post
    Dr Tim....What pan ratio would you recommend when boiling sap in the 15%-18% range?
    Funny you should ask...I just did the final edits on Chapter 8 - Maple Syrup Production (authored by Abby van den Berg, Joël Boutin, Timothy Perkins) of the upcoming North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual 3rd Edition last week. The direct quote from that is:

"...the optimal flue pan percentage for sap between 16° and 20°Brix is generally considered to be about 60 percent of the total length..."

I'd check with the Lapierre folks to be sure (seeing as you have listed that you have a new Volcano 2000 coming next summer). They'll steer you right.

Full maple manual should be out in late-summer 2022. Stay tuned!
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Funny you should ask...I just did the final edits on Chapter 8 - Maple Syrup Production (authored by Abby van den Berg, Joël Boutin, Timothy Perkins) of the upcoming North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual 3rd Edition last week. The direct quote from that is:

"...the optimal flue pan percentage for sap between 16° and 20°Brix is generally considered to be about 60 percent of the total length..."

I'd check with the Lapierre folks to be sure (seeing as you have listed that you have a new Volcano 2000 coming next summer). They'll steer you right.

Full maple manual should be out in late-summer 2022. Stay tuned!

Thanks so much, I look forward to reading it!
    2016: 4 Buckets, 1 Gallon of syrup
    2017: 70 on 3/16 Gravity, 180 on buckets, New Sugar Shack and Sunrise Metal 2x8 Maxiflame
    2022: Boiling for 1200 taps, new Volcano 2000 coming next summer

Great Lakes Maple

+ Reply to Thread