+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling syrup by the barrel

My point was/is that I personally dont think that it's a good idea as a producer to sell to anyone that is not a producer at the Bulk price, it hamstrings you, you get a good customer buying 10 gallons a month and your selling it at the Bulk Price to them and then you run out and you have to buy syrup at the bulk price and handle it bottle/Transport/ insurance and all the things that come with it and your loosing money on that account until your making your own syrup again, or you tell the customer that your out of syrup and risk loosing them. Selling syrup to another producer is a different situation. The costs are much different and there is many more reasons that you might do it.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2018 1000 taps?
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    Franken evaporator, lapierre arch, smokylake pans and a leader hood with pre-heater.
    A wife and 2 kids.

I was not suggesting you buy or sell to Bascom, just that their price be used as a guide.
    I have bought bulk from other producers, in fact I bought 80 gal just after the season. I offered $.20/# more than Bascom was paying and bought it at the end of April. I also bought 130 gal last year, also at the end of the season, same deal, different producers. Both were local producers.
    I sell retail more than I produce is why I buy it and I buy syrup that is real good quality. I bought less this year because I produced a lot more. Last year was a shorter season for me because of having cancer.
    Last edited by maple flats; 08-30-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, doing fewer each year, about 450 planned for 2020 (and after?)
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    added a gooseneck equipment trailer and F350 to tow it to haul more sap
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

Thanks for everyone chiming in! Last season I was at 2000 taps and growing each year. I figured if syrup is being bought in barrel and the barrel is being returned when delivering a full barrel, I feel the syrup is worth between $40 and $45 a gallon, cheaper then what I sell retail but more then bulk pricing like a couple of you guys suggested. I typically have enough to make it till next season with syrup which I like because in my area there are maybe a couple producers that are I know of that are running 2000+ taps so I'd really have to do some looking if I need to buy from another maker to keep the costumers supplied.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12