+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ro sizing

Default Ro sizing

Any literature out there on sizing an ro? I'm at just under 2000 taps but expect to be at 8000 in the next few years. I sell/ truck all my sap and want to make one trip a day to the sugar house with my 1000 gallon tank. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

I would get a 2 post expandable. I have one for sale that does 20+ @1300 gal/hr. That would help you now and later. But at 8000 taps that will 2500 gallons of concentrate
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

You do not want to R.O. ahead unless you can keep the concentrate cold. When you concentrate the sap you also concentrate the micro-organisms and you raise the temperature. Unless you can cool the concentrate down it will spoil quickly. Proctor concentrates to about 35% sugar and cools the concentrate to about 25-26F.
    You would need to cool it to just above a temperature when slush starts to form to hold it for a day or 2, less if just holding for a few hours, but it still needs to be cooled or you will lose some sugar and make darker syrup. The exact temp you would need depends on how much you concentrate and how long you will hold it until you boil it.
    Another point, would you have power to run an R.O. where you collect the sap, an R.O. is power hungry.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

many of the bigger operations are hauling 30%+ several hours with no issues. if your hauling to a neighbor and he boils it relatively fast there will be no problems. besides dark and very dark are going to command premiums soon as more are making light and very little medium through the season.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

+ Reply to Thread