+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple candy made but 1st event is 3 weeks off- couple of questions from the experts

Default Maple candy made but 1st event is 3 weeks off- couple of questions from the experts

I am a newbie. I have my 1st major event as a vendor in 3 weeks. I have started making my maple candy. Is it ok to freeze it? Can I put the candy in the lip and tape bags or do I need to wait till a few days ahead of the event before putting in these bags and boxes?

Also, it seems that the going rate for maple sugar cakes is $1.00 ounce from the best I can tell. Is that the going rate? Does one add on the cost of the package as the boxes I am using cost .85 cents a box. My plan was to sell 4 ounces of candy in nice little box for $5.00. Is this price about right?

I do not want to over charge and at the same time under charge..

Thanks from Newbie!

I'm no expert by any means so other may disagree but I have stored maple candy for 42 days in refrigerated sealed bags with success.

In central PA, your price seems high. I sell three pieces (1oz. each) for $2.75 and 6 piece for $4.50. But I think that the price is pretty location dependant. Not a lot of people here have ever had maple candy. I struggle to sell maple sugar at all. Syrup and infused syrups sell good and I can't make enough lollipops. Try that price and see what happens. You can always lower your price if it's not selling.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

I am not selling maple sugar as just seems like a value added product that folks will want. I am making maple candy and sugar coated nuts and small batch of maple jam. I live in northern NY. I am anxious to see what other have to say. All I know is that I can till the last week to make everything as not enough time in the day...

Freezing won't be a problem at all. That's how I store mine. I package them in the heat-sealed bags they are sold in and I keep those in a big Ziplock bags in a freezer. I've never had a problem. I think your price is okay, too. I sell a package of 4 one-ounce leaves for $5. I started selling them at $4 then jumped to $5 two years ago and didn't see a bit of difference in sales.

Don't judge your prices based on your first day or two. Get through the season and then think about it. Some days nothing moves. Other days I sell nothing but candy. Price is not always the main factor in a sale. Don't just compare your prices to other syrup producers in your area. Check out other vendors at your market to see what the economy is like. At my market (eastern MA), a baker sells some loaves for $6-8. While they are good, my vice is the almond croissant for $4.50. His baskets are empty at the end of every day. So, comparatively, my $4 candies were way under market value. Don't even talk to me about the granola guy or the homemade pasta guy!

Good luck. It's a lot of fun selling your own stuff.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

+ Reply to Thread