+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a small industrial exhaust fan work?

Default Would a small industrial exhaust fan work?

When I built my sugar shack I never put a steam vent on the roof. The steam was manageable with my homemade arch and open shack( no door and a window in the back). Now I have a wf mason arch and I want a door this season. It gets old being cold that long. My solution is to put one of these in the window. Good or bad idea?51iSjOydlhL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    Last edited by BlueMaple; 11-10-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    2016- 7 taps w/ cement block arch
    2017- 41 taps w/ homemade oil barrel arch with a2x3 pan in a 8x8 shack
    2020- Got a 2x3 wfmason arch

You would be better off installing it at the peak of your roof. Otherwise steam will settle down to the window.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

I can do that!

What size is your WF Mason? When you put that vent near the peak, you may be better if the fan on that is either variable speed or multi speed. That way you can adjust as needed depending on the steam you need to move vs. the warmth you want to keep in the shack.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Might work well, at least for a while. Depends upon how much heat and steam it gets. Most of these small fans have a thermal cut-off switch, which shuts it off when it gets too hot. Over time the steam might get to it and short it out, so make it simple to take down and replace. Then again...it might just run for many years.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I'm just a newb but as a carpenter I wouldn't put that in the roof, the peak of one of the gables maybe, but not the roof. Seems like it would be an issue keeping the shack dry the rest of the year, unless you pull it and seal the roof? Again, I'm new to this and on this forum to learn, planning on moving inside this coming Spring - earliest next Spring -latest.
    Last two years late nights outside bundled into my carhartts, is indeed getting old fast (as am I) haha

I also would not mount it in the roof, put it near the peak in the gable end, or if no gable, find the highest point it could go on a wall.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a 2x3 hobby arch. Variable speed switch is a good idea. And installing it at the top of the gable end is how I understood the recommendation but thank you for clarifying it.

i think your idea will work fine. i used a regular box fan to evacuate steam in my sugar house for 5 years! only thing i did to help it's longevity was to not start it until the steam had a chance to thaw it out each time. only time i tried to start it before i lit the evaporator it **** out on me cuz it was frozen still.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

On a similar idea, I was thinking of putting one (or two) of these in the roof instead of a cupola.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an.../FV801250.html

Would that be a better idea than the gable fan? It should be able to be sealed better.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast