+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Thor owners! (and all others...)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMapleNews View Post
    The Thor sales rep is going to be at the Berger's booth at the Rutland County Fair next month as well. I believe on Aug. 13. Good luck, Paul.
    Fantastic! Unfortunately because of previously scheduled get-aways, I was unable to attend all the major Maple Shows. It is what it is though! This hot clammy weather definitely doesn't make you think much about maple but it's definitely on my mind going from a bucket and driveway set up to some lines and a 7'x14' sugarhouse on wheels! A lot to do before the season comes!
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Well, i picked up my rig Saturday. I couldn't be any happier. their price was 30% lower than any comparable rig i priced out locally and i can not see any difference in the craftsmanship. The welds, riveting, bending, etc... all top notch! I think they tend to be so accommodating because they have just a small shop with not a lot of overhead and everything they make, is made to order. they were great folks to deal with. the only stumble was getting over the language barrier, since the only guy (and the one i had been dealing with) that spoke English, Barry, had gotten into a minor fender bender and couldn't make it for the 8 a.m pick up tim20190810_140413.jpg20190810_140413.jpge. so i had to deal with Sylvain (spelling??)... an older gentleman who spoke broken English... but much better English than my French! I would buy from Thor again, in a heartbeat! Now i need to figure out how to brick the thing, and run the stack through the roof! should be an interesting fall/winter!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Nice looking rig.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Quote Originally Posted by tcross View Post
    Well, i picked up my rig Saturday. I couldn't be any happier. their price was 30% lower than any comparable rig i priced out locally and i can not see any difference in the craftsmanship. The welds, riveting, bending, etc... all top notch! I think they tend to be so accommodating because they have just a small shop with not a lot of overhead and everything they make, is made to order. they were great folks to deal with. the only stumble was getting over the language barrier, since the only guy (and the one i had been dealing with) that spoke English, Barry, had gotten into a minor fender bender and couldn't make it for the 8 a.m pick up timAttachment 20210Attachment 20210e. so i had to deal with Sylvain (spelling??)... an older gentleman who spoke broken English... but much better English than my French! I would buy from Thor again, in a heartbeat! Now i need to figure out how to brick the thing, and run the stack through the roof! should be an interesting fall/winter!
    Cross, how was it getting up to/back down through the border with your rig? I'm assuming you must have brought up a trailer given you ordered a whole set up. What were are the specs on your new rig?
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

I purchased Thor's "classic" rig. its their basic raised flue set up. I"m pretty sure they will make whatever you want... within reason. i had the option of a reversible syrup pan, or two cross flow pans... i went with the 2 cross flow pan set up. seems easy enough to swap the pans as they came with plugs, and real easy snap on rings for the fittings. should take 30 seconds to swap out. it's a 30"x 8' rig... 5' raised flue, 13 or 14 raised flues (7"). 2, 18" syrup pans. Site tube, stainless sides, and stack. came with insulation and brick. all the welds are nice and clean! Getting up and back across the border was a breeze. I had a 16' trailer. i had a friend come along and was able to have him "purchase" the pans and i the rest. it kept our dollar amounts under the minimum required to cross without a broker. the border agents didn't really seem to care anyways. they never even stepped foot out of their booth to check out our stuff, that was completely covered with a tarp. we went though a small port... North Troy. i feel they are a little more relaxed at these types of ports. Thor was going to help with a broker and crossing back into the U.S, but this seemed like a lot less of a hassle. They were very good folks to deal with!

Good luck to all!

Well that just about took care of all my questions haha.

Was the reversible pan a set up like SL or reversible as in flip 180*?
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

i believe either or... but i am not 100% certain about it, as i was more interested in the 2 syrup pan option. give a call up there and ask for Barry. or get on their facebook Paige and message them. they reply very quickly. he speaks English pretty well! They have a website, but it's pretty basic.

Good luck to all!

Yes I've spoke to Barry a couple times and he's been very helpful over the phone. Plus I've been social media free (minus forums) since 2011, cold turkey!!!

Well the rig looks fantastic. I may have to swing up and check out the new rig before I place my order given your proximity. Good luck with it and thanks again for sharing!
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

Hi Traders. Barry from Thor is at the Rutland County Fair in Rutland, Vt. today with a bunch of equipment on sale. They have a 18" x 36" rig with bricks and stack for $1600. Plus a canning unit and candy machine for very low prices. Tanks too. They are in the Roaring Brook Maple booth next to the Rutland County Sugarmaker's sugarhouse on south side of fairgrounds...
    The Maple News is the official monthly trade publication for the North American maple syrup industry.
    Subscription rates are $33/year and $60/2 years.
    Feel free to e-mail themaplenews@icloud.com for a sample copy or call us at 518-692-2204.
    Or click on www.themaplenews.com/subscribe

—The Maple News
    P.O. Box 88
    Rupert, VT 05768

tcross, I'd love to swing up and take a look at your rig at some point if you're available.
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast