+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Re-bottling Syrup

Default Re-bottling Syrup

As background, I am a small producer making about 30 gallons a year bottled in glass mason jars.
    I didn't bottle enough pints this year. I wanted to open and re-heat some quarts in order to bottle some more pints.
    Is it possible to reheat the syrup in a double pot and bring up to bottling temperature without having to filter again?
    When I say double pot, I mean a bigger pot with boiling water in it and a smaller pot inside of it with the syrup. The idea being that I would eliminate heating the syrup up too hot which would require re-filtering it.
    Thanks for your help

That's how I do it in small quantities and its how I walk thru all my customers that buy gallons and want to put it in smaller containers for the fridge and shelf. I tell them to bring it up to around 185 before refilling containers. As a precaution I always check density, rarely do I need to adjust, and I've never had niter form when indirectly heating the syrup to a higher temp to check density.
    Last edited by Ed R; 07-27-2019 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added info

That's how I do it, but on a much larger scale. I empty a SS barrel into my water jacketed bottler (as long as the syrup is crystal clear) and I heat it to 185 and bottle without re-filtering. Just make sure not to heat it too long or too hot or the density can change and possibly niter can form.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread