+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sugar House build!

Default New Sugar House build!

So after 56 years in the same sugar house, we're moving in. Granted I have not spent 56 years there, I'm the 3rd generation in my family to run that sugar house. We've rented/leased our last sugar house on a hand shake for all of those years with payment made in syrup. Its been a great location for our growing retail business. Its been great because it has that old charm, considering it was built in 1928. But its become to small in many ways and its time to move on for so many reasons. The first and most is that our new sugar house we will own, no more renting/leasing. The second and very exciting is that we will have running water and a BATHROOM! We're expanding, growing from 1300 taps to around 4000. The old location wouldn't allow for more tanks, and more syrup being made, barrels being moved, etc etc.

That all being said we're building a sugar house on our land with direct road access to a major highway, with more off highway parking. Its going to be 24x48 with a 14x48 side shed for sap and wood storage attached to it. We'll have a 8x12 RO room for our new 1200gph machine, concentrate will be stored above the RO room with permeate stored above the retail room. The evaporator room is 20x20 and the retail room is 20x20 with the bathroom in this area. Overall we're much larger than we were before but we're probably already to small!! Anything will be an upgrade and will be nice to have our own thing.

I will try to keep updating with pictures as i can.

Weve had the site cleared, grubbed, moved and crushed the mountain of rock. They've got the leach field completed and are starting to bring grade up with sand for the sugarhouse itself.
    IMG_1111.jpgIMG_1049.jpg
    Harding Hill Farm
    2650 taps
    3rd Generation Sugar Maker with a Chocolate Lab named Acer

http://www.hardinghillfarm.com
    www.facebook.com/hardinghillfarmnh

That sounds like a great move. Keep us informed.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Sounds and looks like a ton of work ahead!
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

With that much work ahead of you will it be operational for 2020? It sounds like a great improvement for your family.

We do plan on being operational for 2020. Actually kind of have to, since we've told our landlords at the old one we were moving out. We've also moved everything except the arch and the RO out of the old sugar house.

Construction update. Yesterday I had to cut to large oaks down that were already starting to die, from to much sun and root area disturbance, easier now than when concrete or building is there. The leach field is complete, the septic tank is in, the forced main and D box will go in soon. The trenches for the footings are complete. They are hoping to pour footings on the 29th. Well is scheduled to go in second week of August.

More pictures to come as I get the chance, drive by it every day but never seem to make the time for pictures!
    Last edited by sugaringman85; 07-26-2019 at 05:01 AM.
    Harding Hill Farm
    2650 taps

Default Update on the build!!!

Thought I should update everyone on the build so far. Pictures are hard to get up and running but its coming along. We now have power poles up, which means power is on its way. a well has been dug. 260' with 6 gallons per minute, thought that was pretty fantastic. We've got power and water lines to the building. We've got water/sewer/electric lines buried so when we're ready for the slab it can be poured. Septic tank, lines, and leach field have been approved. Driveway is getting the finishing touches this week and site work guys plan on moving out this week. Builder is still a little iffy on his start time but we're still being optimistic. Besides that I'll take some pictures hopefully this week so we can get some progress for people following us.

Thanks!
    Harding Hill Farm
    2650 taps

Sounds like you are going to have one hell of a sugar house.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Quote Originally Posted by VTnewguy View Post
    Sounds like you are going to have one hell of a sugar house.
    Its going to be a dream come true after many years discussing it and thinking about it. Its already to small but the main thing is our retail room is twice the size that it was and people flow should be easier. If we can't sell syrup we can't "make any money." It should look nice pretty sweet when finally finished.
    Harding Hill Farm
    2650 taps

I wish you the best of luck in getting up and running. We tried to expand the bush one year in preparation for a new sugarhouse build to handle the expansion and then some. We are still putting in the expansion in the bush. We were up and running for this last season, but did not have the sap we wanted.

Keep plugging away it will come along. The step is well worth it. We built a 28X60 sugarhouse. It has a 28X20 evaporator area with inside sap and permeate tanks. The heated RO room and kitchen are both 14x12. The other 28x28 is for tool/vehicle storage (ATV, tractor, excavator) and the oil tank. This area is walled off from the other areas. Already wish it was 30 or 32' wide and maybe another 4' longer too. But that's what additions are for right?
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

For sure. The old rule of thumb when building is: Decide how much you will need, then double it. You will then have half enough.
    I should have used that wisdom when I built my sugarhouse.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast