+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordering a new 2x6 soon...came across this ad...

Default Ordering a new 2x6 soon...came across this ad...

Looks too good to be true to me (75gph with no blower, sap raider, etc...?). Not trying to start anything, just get a realistic idea (especially after their statement of "as equipped for...".)
    https://vermont.craigslist.org/grd/d...931564323.html

I'm in upstate NY and may go Sunrise Extreme - anyone have any experience and if their suggested GPH are somewhat accurate?

I'm using an old Lightening 2x6 now (from the 80's or earlier), and would like to go with an airtight door, blower, hood, and preheater to up efficiency. Only 200 taps on gravity (though with the small lines and 200' of drop it may as well be vacuum!), but lots of room to expand, and not enough time to boil (day job). I"m off the grid at the sugarbush, so I"ll run the blower with a small generator I have. Without grid power and separate heat source I'm not ready to go for a RO yet (that will be for when I expand tap wise further, perhaps retirement ).

Thank you for any thoughts, even just confirming that 75gph isn't realistic despite their claims.

The only experience I have with a Sunrise Extreme is that I have a friend who has one in 2.5x10' with a sap raider. He boils 130 gph on that.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Interesting - that seems in line with their non-Extreme pans, but way low for the what they list for the deeper pans (184 with Sap Raider):

http://sunriseevaporator.com/boiling-rates/

We have been able to get 130 + gph with sunrise extreme 2.5x8 forced air with sap raider ,dry wood, clean flues you know the drill !

The Add clearly Says that it comes with Forced Draft in the what's included section. That being said, 75 sounds a bit generous. I have a friend that has a silver plate and it does boil really hard it's a 2x6 and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets close to 70, but a realistic average start to finish Is more like 60.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Couchsachraga,
    You talk about Sunrise Extreme, but the ad is for a SL high output 2x6. I have the SL HO 2x4 raised flue and my longest boil last year was 5 hours, that was just under 200 gallons of raw sap. If you are considering this evaporator I would get the options of the sight glasses, auto draw and the ssr. If I ever get to the point of having enough taps to justify a 2x6 this would be my choice.

I'm leaning towards Sunrise (thought he dealer who was close has moved), but saw the Smoky Lake ad (and price!) and had second thoughts, so figured I'd post up here to see what experience folks have had.

Thank you for correcting on the Force Draft - missed that. I noted the preheater, etc... isn't included.

If I can average 50 or 60gph with a 2x6 I'll be very happy, especially if my wood usage stays about the same!
    Last edited by Couchsachraga; 07-16-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Call and talk with the different companies and ask if they have any video of customers using what you are looking for or may contact. that will also give you some additional information.

I have the 2x6 SL drop flue pan set on a homemade arch and averaging in the mid 50's with startup and shutdown is not hard to get. I have personally seen over 40 on his 2x4 evaporator but he runs it very hard. The rate you get is dependent on how you run your rig as with any arch. Research different makes and choose the one you are most comfortable with. Some companies have long lead times so keep that in mind.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

My experience with many things is if something that is advertised seems to good to be true, then it probably is. Not saying that under extremely perfect situations, the SL evaporator couldn’t do it because I don’t know, but in real world use, it probably won’t happen. I would keep gathering information from other brands to be able to make a good decision that you will be happy with in the long run.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast