+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can i hot pack a 5 gallon pail?

Default Can i hot pack a 5 gallon pail?

I have a customer who would like several 5 gallon pails of Maple Syrup. Can I hot pack them in the HDPE FDA approved buckets that LOWES has? I have used these buckets a lot for sap and for several day storage of finished syrup with no issues. Also what temperature should I heat the Syrup to? Thanks in advance for your help!

I am really considering using the 2.5 gallon jugs like Sugar Bush Supplies sells also. Maybe this would be my best option?

I think the 2.5 gallon jugs have a more reliable closure when moving, jostling, or tipping the container. They store nicer on a shelve too. I leave them right in the cardboard box when I fill them. I always hot pack around 185.
    Last edited by Ed R; 07-15-2019 at 03:42 PM.

I hot pack 5 gallon pails all the time, use food grade 90 ml thickness and you will be fine, 185° I fill them full snap/tap the cover down over and tip them on their side, I've never had a top come off and I've never lost any to spoilage. Uline is a good source theres lots of them out there.
    Last edited by n8hutch; 07-15-2019 at 05:37 PM.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Thanks for all your help on this, I plan to try some of the U-line buckets and also some of the 2.5 gallon containers from SBS.

+ Reply to Thread