+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evaporator Use/Care/Storage with weekly boiling

Default Evaporator Use/Care/Storage with weekly boiling

Hi All,

I boiled my first batch a couple days ago, and while everything went very well, I now have a few questions for those more familiar with weekly evaporator use.

I started with about 60 gallons or RO concentrate, boiled off 4 gallons of syrup before I was out of concentrate. I let the warmer drain empty (still leaves about 4 gallons in the warmer once below the outlet pipe) and immediately drained the rest of the concentrate from the warmer and then filled the warmer with clean permeate.
    I took the concentrate drained from the warmer and added it to the divided pan so it could reach a boil before everything cooled off.
    I then moved the evaporator back into my garage (steady 40F at this time of year) and will wait for the next batch to start over.

Is this the correct method for closing down the evap? Leave the sweet in the evap, ensuring it reached a boil to kill any bugs, and then wait until the next boil assuming it will be 7 days away?

Is 7 days with sweet in the pan too long?
    If so, should I drain the pan and freeze the sweet?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

A sweetened pan should be treated like any perishable food. If it is kept “refrigerated” close to 32 degrees, then it will likely keep for a week. If temps are likely to be much above that, then a midweek boil to keep bacteria at bay is required.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
    (steady 40F at this time of year) and will wait for the next batch to start over.

Is this the correct method for closing down the evap? Leave the sweet in the evap, ensuring it reached a boil to kill any bugs, and then wait until the next boil assuming it will be 7 days away?

Is 7 days with sweet in the pan too long?
    If so, should I drain the pan and freeze the sweet?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan
    If your daily average is about 40 and you've got 7 days until your next boil IMHO you run the risk of losing the sweet. It really depends on your daily temperatures. If there's any doubt, I'd remove the sweet and store it until your next boil.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Fair enough. I’ll either boil sooner or drain and store the sweet.
    Assuming I’m not going to drain in future when I expect to only be a few days between boils, what’s the best method for cleaning the scum buildup on the pan edges? I’m assuming it’s best to keep it out of the sweet??
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

+ Reply to Thread