+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cannabis infused syrup

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Interesting question. The SYRUP could certainly be organic certified, but not sure about the other ingredients. I doubt any certifying agency would certify (for example) coffee beans or vanilla beans originating in another country that they couldn't inspect. So it would depend upon how it were phrased on the label.

However, the most likely interpretation of the regulations (at least in Vermont) is that none of these infused products could be legally sold as "PURE maple syrup", but would instead have to be sold as "maple syrup", "infused maple syrup" or with some other such qualifying language on the label.
    Excellent advice on both points. If producers are really going to bastardize their syrup all for the sake of a short-lived fad (hellooo...anyone remember Pet Rocks?) then you may as well do it right....though how can you prove that the coffee beans/vanilla/weed/whatever you used are indeed FDA-certified organic? And yes I would think that you would DEFINITELY have to label the syrup as *flavoured* or *infused* or risk having a visit from said acronym.

FWIW I would just label it as, 'This was pure wonderful 100% organic maple syrup until some ****nuts decided to add stoopid **** to it in the hopes of increasing sales'.....but that's just me ;-)
    Last edited by Galena; 09-16-2019 at 08:10 AM.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Galena View Post
    If producers are really going to bastardize their syrup all for the sake of a short-lived fad (hellooo...anyone remember Pet Rocks?)
    Sure I remember Pet Rocks. The creator of that fad made $15M at a cost of almost nothing. The lesson from that...give the customer what they want.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Sure I remember Pet Rocks. The creator of that fad made $15M at a cost of almost nothing. The lesson from that...give the customer what they want.
    There are many cases of a producer of a product creating demand where none existed before so that they could sell more product. As a former advertising copywriter, I helped numerous clients do just that for many years.

Ahh, good ol' Pet Rocks. That is still a classic case study in Marketing 101 classes because it was brilliant. There was NO customer demand, at all, for a pet rock - until there were Pet Rocks. Pet Rocks did so well because they were the stupidest idea ever, and the marketing campaign behind them made people aware that they could buy a Pet Rock. The followup campaigns then tweaked people's psyches until having a Pet Rock was pretty much de rigeur.

Same with the Sony Walkman, CDs and countless other examples. Essentially, very little if any end-consumer demand at all for the products; most of them were simply companies' R&D departments mucking about, as they are supposed to. Only when the product was invented was a demand then invented for the product. Once the leading-edge consumers got ahold of it, so did everyone else. Even trailing-edge types like me ;-)

Same idea with this whole infused maple syrup thing. Not once have I ever heard someone say 'Jeez I wish someone would take maple syrup and infuse it with cinnamon/vanilla/coffee beans/cat piss/pot...' Nope. Infused syrups were created for the novelty value, by syrup producers, to drive up demand for their product, which is still selling maple syrup. Only now it's ****ed over maple syrup.

BTW...Pet Rocks are not a food. Food fads are the most fickle and short-lived of them all. Remember purple and green ketchups and any other numerous short-lived food fads that were hot af one week and gone by the same time the next year? That's what I sincerely hope happens with this infused syrup nonsense.

Getting off my soapbox now...
    Last edited by Galena; 09-16-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup

Doesn’t matter to us which came first, the product or the demand. As long as our customers are raving about out infused syrup, we’ll keep right on making it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Doesn’t matter to us which came first, the product or the demand. As long as our customers are raving about out infused syrup, we’ll keep right on making it.
    Go for it! Enjoy riding the wave of food novelty while it lasts. Believe it or not you can still but purple and green ketchup, but only in very small, very concentrated markets.

Just don't come crying to me in a year or two that you have x amount of gallons of infused syrup sitting in storage cause suddenly nobody's buying it any more ;-)

Meanwhile I am toying with the idea of entering the Royal...whose rules very clearly specify that there be no foreign bodies *cough cough INFUSIONS* in your entry....
    Last edited by Galena; 09-17-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    Been tapping since 2008.

No worries, we only make 30-40 gallons a year and sell out every time. We do have a waiting list for the following season also, so we have a rough idea of how much to make.

WINDY ACRES MAPLE Farm

We have been producing maple fruit syrup since 2011 or earlier . We have sold domestic red raspberry, wild blackberry strawberry, wild black elderberry, cranberry from pure juice . It consists of 30 % 0f our sales, at Christmas markets as high as 60 % sales. This year we will sell approx 1000 250 mil bottles. This is a great way for a small producer to enhance sales ,despite the fact it is labour intensive.

Quick update, we bottled a small run of coffee infused syrup, and the response was fantastic. The two flavors play together very well. At $18 per 12 oz bottle, we will definitely be bottling more of it.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    ...we bottled a small run of coffee infused syrup, and the response was fantastic. The two flavors play together very well.
    We've experimented with a lot of different infusions at UVM PMRC this past year -- the coffee-infused syrup is very good (especially in coffee). My daughter used it as table favors at her wedding this past June...her husband's family is from Columbia, so it was a nice blending.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Im not understanding how we are termed as "dumb" for taking bulk syrup bound for $2 lb bulk market adding something to it and creating another product for our shelfs that we will make considerably more than the original product and even if the fad does die make money while its hot than not make it at all?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast