+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cannabis infused syrup

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Infusing and barrel-aging is a relatively recent trend. It is a way to add value to syrup, and to increase sales and revenue. If the customer wants it...do it.
    Yeah, I know all too well how to add value and sell etc thanks to a background in Advertising...but I still think infused syrup is frickin ridiculous. Hopefully the novelty will soon wear off.

If you're going to ruin some syrup, get that horrible *pole syrup* and use that instead.

And fwiw the people who get my syrup frickin rave about the flavours, from my still marshmallowy early season batches to the brown sugary overtones of the final batches. They're tickled pink by the fact that it's all natural, not with crap thrown in.

Getting off my soapbox....for now. More time for this in the spring.
    Last edited by Galena; 09-03-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Last season we did a vanilla syrup with a whole bean in each bottle. It tasted fantastic, and our customers agreed. We sold all we had in 12oz glass for $17 a bottle, and could’ve sold much more. We intend to increase production this upcoming season, and will hopefully add coffee bean and chili pepper also. We do still have a strong market for straight syrup too, it’s all a matter of customer preference.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Last season we did a vanilla syrup with a whole bean in each bottle. It tasted fantastic, and our customers agreed. We sold all we had in 12oz glass for $17 a bottle, and could’ve sold much more. We intend to increase production this upcoming season, and will hopefully add coffee bean and chili pepper also. We do still have a strong market for straight syrup too, it’s all a matter of customer preference.
    Well have at it then....but my syrup is consistent enough that I know no matter what batches 1-3 will have a strong hit of vanilla, and some marshmallow...batches 4-5 more regular pronounced maple...6 and any subsequent batches get brown sugar maybe toffee too.

And nope I add NOTHING to my syrup with the possible exception of distilled water in case I've gone too high and it'll sugar unless I fix it.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Galena View Post
    Well have at it then....but my syrup is consistent enough that I know no matter what batches 1-3 will have a strong hit of vanilla, and some marshmallow...batches 4-5 more regular pronounced maple...6 and any subsequent batches get brown sugar maybe toffee too.

And nope I add NOTHING to my syrup with the possible exception of distilled water in case I've gone too high and it'll sugar unless I fix it.
    Good for you! I hope the upcoming season is your best ever.

My wife and I made pancakes and bacon for dinner last evening and had some coffee infused syrup on the pancakes. My wife asked if the coffee infused syrup (we infuse by putting whole beans in with the syrup when bottling) contained caffeine. I don't think so because no coffee actually is a part of what we eat but the syrup soaked in it for months so I don't know. Has anyone actually researched this.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Well, if you infused the syrup with coffee beans for months then yeah, I'd say it's a very good guess that you ingested some caffeine. What else would you expect?!
    Been tapping since 2008.

I’m interested in the process with the coffee beans. How many beans do you add per quantity of syrup? Any favorite kinds or types of beans? Does the coffee flavor continue to increase as time passes?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Yes, coffee-infused maple syrup contains caffeine and coffee flavor compounds.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Is the syrup with all this foreign matter infused into it, eligible for US Certified Organic Status?

If it were .... then that would be clincher to me in the proving of the existence of Certified US BS .... considering that silver tap sap is not eligible!
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Interesting question. The SYRUP could certainly be organic certified, but not sure about the other ingredients. I doubt any certifying agency would certify (for example) coffee beans or vanilla beans originating in another country that they couldn't inspect. So it would depend upon how it were phrased on the label.

However, the most likely interpretation of the regulations (at least in Vermont) is that none of these infused products could be legally sold as "PURE maple syrup", but would instead have to be sold as "maple syrup", "infused maple syrup" or with some other such qualifying language on the label.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast