+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July journal

Quote Originally Posted by tcross View Post
    i've been enjoying some non maple activities... gardening, fishing, golfing, preparing food plots and setting up game cameras. However i am getting a new Thor 2.5x8' raised flue the first weekend of August, so i have a few things to get done this weekend so the sugar house is ready for it. i poured a 4" thick slab, 12'x13' in my sugar house (which will be my boiling room). framed up some new walls to separate the sap storage, wood storage, and vacuum pump room all from the boiling area. i have a lot more work to do in there, but i'm basically set for the arch to be put in and i'll putter over the winter on finishing up. i have a wood stove in there now, so that will help take the chill off in the middle of winter. did all my wood in the spring, and last winter. just need to move it into the sugar house now. hopefully summer hangs on a little longer than it did last year. we had 6" of snow up here from the first of October till the middle of May.
    A new Thor Evaporator sounds pretty awesome. What were you boiling on?
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Maplewalnut View Post
    Not really sure why so many have left. Noticed it last year and thought they would be back this maple season but it never happened. I know a few frequent posters were turned off by a few bad apples but that is life. i have learned a lot on this site over the years and figure I will give back some knowledge as I can.

Mike
    Nate, this slow down happens every year after the season maple ends. Activity will pick up as producers ramp up for the 2020 season.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Nate, this slow down happens every year after the season maple ends. Activity will pick up as producers ramp up for the 2020 season.
    Your Starting to Show your Age Dave.lol
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

At my age I'm not afraid to show it, many of those my age are no longer with us.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    A new Thor Evaporator sounds pretty awesome. What were you boiling on?
    I was boiling on a home made rig I had made. Welded up a 4'x4' arch (insulated and bricked) and threw a 4'x4' syrup pan on top of it. i built a hood for it, homemade float, pre heater, auf and air injector. on good days i'd get 32 gph out of it, but probably averaged 27-28gph. probably throw it on craigs list and see what i can get for it. the upgrade to a 2.5x8 will be quite a learning curve! but it'll be great not spending 12-15 hours a day in front of it when things really pick up.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Cut up a bunch of wood last week and made a pile of it by my wood splitter to work on splitting. Haven’t got as much done this summer as I had hoped. My father and my mother in-law have cancer, so my wife and I have been busy going to medical appointments and doing things to help them.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I've been lurking but not posting. Syrup has been selling well and I'm glad that I made some dark this year. I've got an order for 300, 50ml gallone jugs to fill this weekend. I hope that it isn't as hot as it was last weekend! I've sold some of my equipment that has been sitting around and I sold my hand pump filter press last weekend. I sold enough stuff to pay for my new filter press when it comes in. I still need to cut and split some wood to fill the woodshed back up but won't be doing that until it cools down some.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Hey all
    We started off with tons of rain then it went right into the hot humid weather. I had half a big beech tree come down which was mostly dead anyway. We got blocks cut and split in the woods then rains came. Once the cooler weather shows up we'll start hauling and stacking. Planning on getting the interior of the sugar house completed early fall. Then it will be time to order more taps and bag holders. Planning on 100 taps for 2020. That should keep my little 2x4 raised flue evaporator busy.

n8hutch and his family stopped by for a visit yesterday afternoon. It was nice to see Nate again and to show off my sugar house. His son really liked my tractors. I have a wheel off of the doodlebug so I couldn't give them a ride but he still had fun looking. I always enjoy talking maple and showing other sugarmakers my setup.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12