+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off topic- Roofing Tin over asphalt shingles?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

One other thing...if your cellphone coverage is weak is spotty, a metal roof can kill it or make it worse. Every now and then my phone gps will put me in Indiana or Columbia, South America.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I was a roofer for 12 years(yeah I know, what a dumb a$$ lol), we put a LOT of metal on over shingles. We mostly 'stripped' the roof with 1"x4"s or 2"x4"s first, over the shingles (never seen the color fade because of this, not saying it cant happen). If you lay the metal right on top of the shingles you will see waves from the old shingles underneath(not a big deal if looks don't matter). Another benefit of putting the wood down first is you know EVERY screw is going to 'bite' into something good(you cant tell what the shape of the decking is under the shingles).

What about Ondura? Anybody have any experience with it?

Quote Originally Posted by 3GoatHill View Post
    What about Ondura? Anybody have any experience with it?
    DON’T. The company name is new. Product used to be called Onduline. “Lifetime” guarantee. Then they “went out of business” before you can collect. Does not last more than 15years before it starts flaking.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Thanks for the input everyone,got price on tin,strapping,valley,screws etc. today,wasn’t as bad as expected. Considering making the house tighter with new windows,that was quite a scare,quote was $44,000.00!!!!! for 9 windows,and 5 patio doors,nothing too big or fancy. Thinking I could get the whole house spray foamed for a lot less money and get more bang for the buck
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

in reality, when you replace your windows you aren't doing a whole heck of a lot to improve your thermal envelope unless your current windows are really, really bad/leaky. it's glass. the u value or r value (whatever you go by depending on where you are located) isn't much. just two panes of glass with a little bit of gas in between. you're much better off with proper insulation. a layer or 1" or 2" foam on the outside, under the siding, or more insulation win the ceilings, is way, way better money spent!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

That's a price gouge quote. 5000 max if you pay for material.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

Get more quotes. It was 25 years ago, but I used to do siding, insulation and replacement windows. That price is about 9x what we got to do 34 windows in one house in 1992. In another big job we did 21 windows for about $5000 (larger windows). While the prices on the windows has climbed, the window cost is only about 20% higher than what it was 30 yrs ago. In my retirement I had 14 windows replaced 3 years ago in a rental duplex I own, it cost $3900, windows and labor. Patio doors are not that much more than what it costs to replace 2 big double hungs. The difference there might be if headers need to be fixed. Then materials rise a little and labor a lot.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

How old is your house? If the existing windows have (or had) window balance weights in side channels, have that removed and insulated. Those weight cavities are always a huge heat loss area. Doing windows but not removing weights and filling the cavities with insulation will result in very little heat loss improvement.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I did windows in our 1964 vintage home, had a contractor buddy come over and showed me how to measure, I did the measuring for 16 windows, ordered from Lowes, he came back and helped me install one, I did the rest. Used the low expanding foam insulation to seal all gaps and channels. I did the entire house in 2 days. Found it to be a relatively easy task. Buddy came back and I worked with him to do vinyl siding with sheet insulation underneath. Best thing I ever did to a home. Also added blown insulation, DIY, to the attic. We added ventilation there as well. I think total investment in our ~1600 sq.ft. home was less than 4k $. Stillhave to doors, at some point.
    2016 - helped at afriend with a small operation, 300+ taps. = hooked
    2017 - 20 taps @ home, 1 gal @ home on propane, then hauled to friends operation
    Bought a whole shack locally, with a Leader 1/2 Pint, moved it home
    2018 - 50 taps, 9 on 3/16 gravity and 41 pails -14 gallons of good sweet stuff
    2019 - 27 taps, 17 on 3/16 gravity and 10 on pails - 12-3/4 gallons of good sweet stuff (most fun I've had with this hobby)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast